How to reduce the screen resolution on Ubuntu 9.10?

Dark Wrath February 2, 2010

I know about the settings but even that is way too big for me. I’d like to reduce it more than the options shown in the preferences. My current resolution is 800 x 600 but I want it to be more. I tried editing the X.org file as someone on another site told me to, but that didn’t show me the pixels so it didn’t work.

Could you please help? Thanks

1. Varun Kashyap

Hey Dark Wrath,
    I would need more info on your computer hardware, Ubuntu has been having problems with Intel cards for past few versions, I suspect something similar may be causing the problem if you are able to choose a lower//higher resolution in other Operating systems. Can you verify that?

2. Chris

I have the same problem with a Dell Latitude running Ubuntu 9.10. The previous resolution in Windows XP was 1024 x 768.

3. Justin Pot

If you can't set the resolution lower than that in the settings, there's a good chance you can't set the resolution lower than that with your video card or monitor, regardless of your operating system. Have you gotten you current setup to display at a lower resolution in Windows?