How can I reduce memory usage on my Samsung Galaxy S3?
Question by Bal Mukund Agrawal /

My Samsung Galaxy S3 779MB of RAM. Every time when I look into the task manager it shows me almost 600-700MB usage where as such there are no applications working. How can I reduce the RAM usage in my phone cause it is consuming my battery in almost 12hr and I have to charge it twice a day. I have already stopped 60% of features which are new in this model but still nothing has changed.

• dave williams

Chrome mobile is a memory hog. Make sure you exit it before running the task killer.

• weeble

Take it back! I am a compitentandroid user. Purley to my knowledge, you phone should have 2 gig of ram. I am sure there are ways of doing what you are asking but would mostly likeley involve processes like rooting, and this will lokeley void your warranty. Take it back and explain your issue!

A mobile friendly site would also be apprecaited! :)

• Kirs

Unfortunately there is no much to do without rooting… I not rooted my device yet and all fixes that I did not give my device more free ram… I hate samsung that give part of the world 2gb of ram and to another part only 1gb. International galaxy s3 is a crap (sorry for my english)

• Todd

Thank god im not the only one

• Josh Lee

Get Task Killer for your android and either set up auto task kill or run it once in a while to kill unnecessary tasks and free up memory!

• Kannon Y

Free RAM in Android is not always a sign that the phone is unencumbered by apps. In fact, researchers found that oftentimes sluggish performance in Android relates more to a few poorly designed apps than to an overabundance of applications. In particular, apps with ad-supported elements tended to drain quite a bit of energy as opposed to paid apps (the reason being that the ads keep the WiFi connection active and are constantly breaking deep sleep).

Android is designed to “page out” applications that are running in the background to memory, meaning they do not occupy much of the system’s CPU when not in use. As I understand it, however, some apps still frequently access your handset’s resources when not in use, which can account for sluggishness and poor battery performance.

Some quick solutions that you can use:

1. Remove all ad-supported apps.
    2. Replace with paid apps (sorry, but they aren’t great).
    3. Keep your application manifest trimmed to a minimum number of essential apps.
    4. Turn off WiFi (and Bluetooth) when not in use.
    5. Most importantly, go to settings -> sync and turn off both forms of syncing (background). It will dramatically improve battery life in most cases.

A somewhat more complex solution is to use BetterBatteryStats to figure out exactly what is draining your battery. Generally speaking, your phone is designed to go into a low power state when not in use, in which only its most essential features are available (such as calls and SMS). However, a few poorly designed components (and user installed apps) can interfere with this process. BetterBatteryStats can (with root permissions) determine exactly what app or process is draining your power.

• Bal Mukund Agrawal

Thank u for the detailed suggestion….I can’t go wid point 1 & 2 :P ….but remaining points are really useful. :)

Also,one thing to be noted besides other suggestions,Icecream sandwich OS also reserves nearly 200 MB RAM.

Go to RAM status on your phone and choose to clean memory, if does not work do a soft reset, if still do not work try hard reset (this delete files so first do a backup).

• ferdinan Sitohang

Agree with Dalsan. You need to to disable/manual turn on some widgets and feature, most of its like wifi, email, live wallpapers, auto update. They are take most of the resources

• Dalsan

Unless you root your phone to allow an autorun program to stop apps from automatically starting, you would have to use a program like Advanced Task Killer and set it to auto kill to a setting that you like.

Take note, if you use several widgets, folders, shortcuts, and live wallpaper, that will take much of the memory and battery life from your phone. Remove some of the clutter from your home screens and don’t use live wallpaper to see if that helps.

• Bal Mukund Agrawal

Thanks. I have found one more thing in my mobile. In Settings -> Developer Options -> Limit Background Processes. Instead of default option of Standard Limit, I have set it to 1 or 2 Process only and It works :)

• wombatz

super!