K.A.K.

How can I recover my Windows XP Home installation after forgetting my administrator password and installing Windows XP Professional over it?

21 Nov 2011
21 Nov 2011 | |

Trying to make this story short, here’s what happened.

I forgot my admin password and wound up installing an unlicensed copy of Windows XP Professional over my Windows XP Home. The disk was horrible and loaded without many of the basic files.

To top it off, towards the end of the process, it skips down a huge list of programs and apps that it disables. Don’t ask me why. Help is one of them, as well as troubleshooting, add new software, and many more. Didn’t even open basic files and needless to say could not be updated on line. It’s a nightmare.

I had tried several methods to retrieve my password without costly application help to no avail. So, I had a Linux Mint start up disk which has allowed me to at least surf the web, but I’m more comfortable with my Windows XP.

No way to shorten this, sorry, it gets more complicated. The same “friend” that lent me the Windows XP Professional disk from he**, lent me his “genuine” copy of Windows XP Professional, installed it with his codes, and it started up asking me for, you guessed it, my admin password. What the ??? It turns out that it’s not legal for me to be using it anyway, so that point is mute.

My computer is an e-machine that came with Windows XP Home pre-installed. So here we have a hard drive with Windows XP Prof, non-accessible due to log on problems and illegalities, and Linux Mint, installed, which is not the right fit. It’s licensed to me and the codes are on the back.

Isn’t there some way I can install with my original codes off the internet?

If nothing else, does anyone know how to use the “Wine” programs in Linux that open Windows objects? It’s a cool OS, but very complicated.

If you were able to follow all that, can anyone think of a solution?

Thanks in advance, and don’t be too rough on me please. I’m not without average intelligence, but I am, after all, a blond behind the wheel (rather, keyboard in this case).