How do I recover Windows XP on my dual-boot computer?

Vkey December 14, 2011

I had Ubuntu and Windows XP installed in different partitions. I’ve formatted the drive containing XP, so that OS selection menu is now gone. How can I recover it? The partition containing Ubuntu is intact?

you cant have a boot menu containing windows XP if you dont have windows XP, the Grub cant add a menu that do not exist since ubuntu dont detect windows xp

you can check super grub disk
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Hello, If you are talking about recovering the operating system, the only way now, is to do a clean install of XP.  If you decide to do this, make sure to select the right partition.  What was the boot loader being used?

The ubuntu partition should be ok.  Is ubuntu starting ok?  If it is not starting ok then you will probably have to fix the boot loader.  If you install XP, then it will overwrite the boot loader and therefore, you will also have to repair it.