How can I recover Windows after a serious crash?

Ayrie April 7, 2011

My PC started to switch off just like that as I’m working showing a message “Windows Error Recovery” with three safe mode options and another one – “Start Windows Normally”. Seemingly, the one I need is the last one, but the process happened again and I saw the same screen options.

Now I have no clue what to do as I’ve asked friends and they said could be anything with no direct answer. I will be pleased to have your opinion guys, before spend any money on recovery. Thanks in advance!

1. Danny Doore

You can restore your PC and it will be back to the previous state you once backup.

2. Ayrie

Thanks for your help
    Ive tried methods exposed, it worked
    and somehow discovered my windows /7 Ultimate/ is not performing any updates since 27 of March, and it always gives various code errors

Ayrie,

thank you very much for your feedback.

Regarding the errors you are seeing in Windows, maybe your Windows installation is corrupt, which is why it was crashing in the first place. Try to repair or maybe re-install the system after backing up your personal data.

Feel free to ask a new question in case you need more help!

Hello, knowing what operating system you are using would be helpful to give better help. First thing you should try to do is turn off automatic restart when system failure occurs. If you are running windows xp, you could try the following:

-- start computer
    -- when BIOS starts checking system, press the f8 key repeatedly
    -- when menu shows, choose disable automatic restart or something similar
    -- restart computer
    -- next time you get the error, it should give you a blue screen with an error code.
    -- write down that error code somewhere and research it online or post it here

If your computer boots ok, you can change that within windows:
    -- press windows key + Pause/Break key
    -- select Advanced option tab
    -- select Startup and recovery
    -- click on setting
    -- uncheck automatic restart under system failure

Another place where you can check is the event viewer logs. Here are the instructions for xp but pretty much is similar on windows 7/vista
    -- start
    -- control panel
    -- performance and maintenance
    -- Administrative Tools
    -- double click on Event Viewer
    -- select and double click on System logs
    -- look for red entries on logs.

Sure way to repair your system is by using the repair/recovery disk on windows 7/vista and the installation disk for windows xp, unless your computer is shutting down due to hardware failure.

Which windows OS do you have.

You can boot on the windows cd and use the recovery/restore option.