How can I recover the volume icon in Windows Vista?
Question by Jordan /

My volume icon is missing, how do I get it back? I am using Windows Vista, Intel Pentium Dual Core on a HP G50 laptop.

• Jane

The regedit worked for me. Thanks! Vista can be SO annoying.

Thanks for the feedback, Jane!

• Jane

You’re welcome, Tina. And it just now worked again … I do wish it would STAY fixed, but that’s probably too much to ask.

Jordan,

were you able to get your volume control icon back? Let us know in case the solutions above didn’t work!

Hi

1.Run “regedit” (Registry Editor)
    2.Find “iconstreams”
    3.Delete all registry keys with names “IconStreams” and “PastIconStreams” until “iconstreams” can no longer be found in the registry
    4.Restart Windows Vista
    5.Enable the missing icon using the usual method

When the computer restarts, the icons may still be missing, however you should now be able to enable them by right clicking on the taskbar, clicking on Properties and then enable them from the Notification Area tab. If you have multiple user accounts on your computer you may need to enable icons in the other accounts as well.

Microsoft way
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011

• Walk Dogg

Great job my friend!  Your detailed instructions hellped restore my volume icon and I thank you and all our troops!  Ha ha! 

• Josh Fox

Chances are, it’s just hidden. Right-click the taskbar > go to the tab for Notification Area > enable Volume. If this isn’t the problem, the sound card could be disabled. If my first idea didn’t work, check in the device manager by opening the application menu (start menu) > right-click on Computer > Properties > Device Manager. It should be listed under “Sound, video and game controllers”. If it’s just disabled here, you should be able to right-click and choose “Enable”. Otherwise, you may need to get the driver from the HP website and reinstall it.