How can I recover videos not backed up in iTunes from an iPhone 4 that is stuck in DFU mode before restoring it?

Yolanda Machado March 14, 2012

After 2 days with Apple tech support they have told me the only way to get my phone out of DFU mode is to do a restore. My phone shows up in iTunes as recovery mode, but my screen is black and they have told me that the reason recboot and those type programs did not kick it out of recovery mode is because it is in fact in DFU. I can restore my phone from the backup I did in December. All trouble shooting did not work and they have told me the restore is my only option.

Here is the problem: I had a baby since that last backup and my phone is full of videos and pics that are not backed up. I can’t lose them, I will be devastated! Apple told me a 3rd party company might be able to get out these files, but they could not help me other than getting the phone back to where it was in December

I tried using file recovery software, but none of them can read that my iPod is there when I connect it. I assume because it is stuck in DFU.

Here is the information I know:
My iPhone 4 is a Verizon phone that I purchased and has not been jailbroken. I noticed an update in settings and my older kid pressed it. The Apple bar was moving doing an update. I told her I didn’t want the update and she pressed home and sleep and shut the phone off and now it is stuck. No combinations of button pressing or any other trouble shooting techniques worked for the Apple techs and they tried with me for 2 days.

I tried to see if my phone would come up in Tiny Umbrella, but it also didn’t show up.

My question is, if I do the factory restore, will the file recovery software work then or does a factory restore completely override the data and make it irretrievable?

My other question is, if I leave the phone as is without restoring, is there a 3rd party company that can somehow hack into my phone and find my videos and pictures even though I did not manually delete them?

Last question, is there any way to kick this phone out of DFU mode without losing data that does not involve restoring or pushing buttons because the button holding does not work and losing my pictures and videos is not the route I want to take!

Sorry, my question is wordy, but I’ve been dealing with this for days and people just keep telling me the same button combos and do not seem to understand my actual question so I am just trying to be clear. :)

1. Claire

hi yolanda, did u have any success getting your photos/videos back? i'm in the same situation, i've a 3gs and haven't backed it up in over a year but had a baby 6 months ago and have all my pics etc on there and i'm stuck in dfu/recovery! i'm really not technically minded at all but tried tiny umbrella but it seemed to go out and straight back in recovery again :( i asked in loads of phone shops and everyone says i have to restore :( help  please!!!!!!!

2. Ukupal

If their is a black screen and it powers on and if you switch your mute button on and off and it vibrates.then im assuming that it's on dfu mode....this might seem strange how ever it will work.....All you need to do is simultaneously press power button and the home button at the same time then your screen will boot up with the apple and that's it what was on their before dfu mode it'll be the exact same........

3. Yolandaburney

I tried imaging software and jailbreaking it....using tiny umbrella and other programs.....nothing would allow me to see files or kick it out since it was truly stuck in dfu and not recovery. I unfortunately now did a restore......is there any way to get files from a restored phone?  and yes my i cloud was set up but somehow the photo stream got unchecked in settings and I did not notice:( ....my contacts and calender were fine....if anyone knows if file recovery is possible from a restored phone lmk b/c all the software I have used has not detected it...thanks!!!!

• Ixlewerx

If you are now unstuck you may be able to recover some of your lost files. First off STOP using your phone immediately. Any use overwrites possibly recoverable files. Image your iPhone and recover files from the image with off the shelf software (revuva, etc). DMXLimager (? I think that it what it is called) may work. One big caveat, to properly acces the phone you may have to jailbreak which may further overwrite files. It's worth a try. My wife reinstalled an entire operating system on a corrupted laptop and I was still able to restore 80% of her files.

4. D1tarkwizzle

Tiny umbrella has an option to kick out of DFU

5. The Mr. Brooks

Try googling for how to image your iPhone. I did this one but can't seem to find the program I used. Basically you will make an image of your iPhones drive and then from that image extract contents. I dont remember if phone needed to be jailbroken or not. Sorry.

6. Deanau

Backup, Backup, Backup. With iCloud you have no excuse

• Katie Conway

True. Once a phone is in recovery or DFU there is no data recovery. at all.

7. Yeahvin

Try using copytrans manager

8. Zion22em

You are effectively screwed. You WILL have to do a restore/format.

9. Michael Clarke

I think you can use redsn0w 0.9.10b6 to kick the device out of DFU mode.