Can I recover a v2i file without Norton Ghost?

Scott May 1, 2010

I have a v2i file (a hard drive backup) from my old job. I no longer have Norton Ghost. Is there any solution besides shelling out the $60+ for Norton Ghost?

1. Guest

...Or you could try mounting it in VMWare and either pull the data off or boot an imaging CD on the virtual machine.

when was the file made?  Symantec bought Partition Magic  in order to get rid of it, but you can check to see if the latest version of  PM (8 i think) will open open + restore the file.

Scott,

It seems to me that V2I is a proprietary file type used by Symantec (in particular by Norton Ghost). I think it's very unlikely for some other program to open or recognize this.

http://filext.com/file-extension/V2I

4. ænon1mus

Agreed

5. Johnathan TheTool Lane

I'm pretty sure the trial version of ghost will suffice to your needs if you are just going to recover. Also, its probably not a good idea to do this, but you could make BartPE live disk and instead of buying ghost you can search the specific file names BartPE requests to use ghost. Then build your disc with PEBuilder and use BartPE to image whenever you want. However, this is not legal.

Hey Johnattan,

thanks for the input, could you please outline the steps and provide links as well. I tried to follow your recommendations but not really sure what you mean by 'search the specific file names BartPE requests to use ghost'