How can I recover the admin password on Mac OS X?

mason September 28, 2010

do u know how to recover a admin password on a mac?

1. Nashmwandi

thank you very much mate this save me from loosing all my work for the past 5years. I will be backing up all my work from now !

Thanks for the feedback Nashmwandi

Hey Mason,Did you manage to recover the password using the tips recommended above.

If you do not have a spare Administrator account, ( Ran in to this problem with a Used Mac of mine). You could try this, But it involves Darwin ( OS X's Unix side). That said if you follow these you will be fine.1. If the Mac is running, Restart it2. Hold the Apple/Command Key + S after you hear the chime.3. When you get text prompt enter these commands:"mount -uw /" now press enter4 Next type this command:"rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" now press enter5 Next the last command:"shutdown -h now"6 Now when you boot the computer back up you will get the New User Setup. Follow the steps and you will get a new Administrator user account. 7 Log in to the account. To change the password, just goto System Preferences> Accounts. 8 Now select the account you want to change the password to. Click Change password and Enter your the new password. 9 To delete the account you just created, Select the account and press the minus.10 Now you can log in to your account with the new password. Done.

Hi

Open a terminal window and type:
    sudo passwd root
    you will be prompted for your password (the user account that you do remember). Then you will be prompted for the new root password twice. That’s it!

Boot the system from the Mac OS X installation CD and select the Reset password option from the installer screen and follow the directions

http://www.password-genius.com/