How can I recover a SD card that reports as damanged after I tried to mount it in my LG phone?

Dana May 17, 2012

I bought a 16GB SD memory card 3 days ago for my LG phone. I was looking through my settings today and accidentally hit mount and now it says my card is damaged! What happened?

Can it be damaged if placed in my phone, but not mounted for 3 days? I tried to format it on my computer, but it would not format! Can anyone help me please? :-)

1. Amichai Rotman

If I understand correctly - the solution is quite simple:
    ** WARNING **
    The following steps involve data destructive actions, so, before proceeding, make sure you are performing the following steps on the card in question. I do not know what model of LG phone you own, so I can;t be specific. for instance, my Samsung phone has an Internal *and* an external SD Storage.
    I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU LOOSE DATA BY FOLLOWING THESE STEPS!!
    ** WARNING **
    1. Go to your phone's storage settings.
    2. Unmount the card.
    3. format the card (that's right - on your phone) - This will delete all data on the card, so MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT CARD!!
    4. mount the card and try to copy a file to it on your phone.
    5. That's it!

Good Luck!

Hello, it sounds like a faulty card....What operating system is the phone running? There have been some issues with android based phones and memory cards. If your phone is android based, have you tried restarting your phone? or Have you tried unmounting the card and taking the card out?

Click Start and then Run. Type cmd and then click OK. Type the following:
    chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /r
    this will Scan for and attempt Recovery of bad sectorsor
    chkdsk [sd card drive letter] /f
    this will Automatically Fix file system errors on the disk
    http://ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

go to run type cmd and launch with administrative rights
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk "x" (x represents the disknumber in the left collum, your sd card)
    clean
    create partition primary (a new primary partition will be created as big as possible and in your case will be 16gb )
    list volume
    select volume "X"
    format fs=fat32

• roopa

Thank u very much, i could recovered the data from SD card completely, thanks again!

4. Laga Mahesa

Sounds like a faulty card. It's only been 3 days, take it back.