How can I recover pictures from a dead hard drive?

Christy September 8, 2011

How do I get pictures off of a dead hard drive? Is it a possible? Please help!!

Hey Christy,

Did you manage to recover the photos using the tips recommended above? Do let us know.

Aibek

Dead as in how? Is it a SATA or IDE drive? 85% of the dead drives are due to software, this means that the issue is usually repairable. 

You may want to run a utility called Spinrite, it's not free but it's worked for me many times. If you're not looking to repair it or simply don't want to pay for it, you could try to run a Linux Live CD and see if it recognizes your hard drive. If it does, you can backup the photos in the CD (RW), USB key or upload to a server. Just burn the ISO to a CD or USB, restart and boot from it. You may have to edit your BIOS boot priority to prefer the CD/DVD drive rather than the hard drive. 

If the Linux Live CD worked, tell me and we can get started on repairing your hard drive from Linux.

3. Mulder

It's only possible if you can get the drive running; otherwise, you're out of luck.