How can I recover the password on my Compaq Presario laptop?

Chuck Graves January 4, 2012

I was trying to setup a new laptop password when a noise startled me and I ended up entering the wrong password on accident. So now I can’t access my laptop. Is there any way I can get around this?

A noise startled you, huh? You are aware that you would have to entered the password incorrectly twice, both for the initial password and the confirmation, so was it two noises or just one? Don't insult our intelligence ;)

Anyway, is this a BIOS password or the Windows password? If it's the BIOS password, it's as easy as flashing the BIOS. Since it's a laptop, this may not be so easy (taking it apart, that is) so you can lookup your BIOS's manufacturer and see if there is a default password, which will work regardless of which password you entered in (usually).

If it's a Windows password, we have covered this question exhaustively. Have a look at a few resource to assist you in resetting your Windows password below.

3 Ways to Reset Forgotten Windows Administrator Password (article)
    5 Tips To Reset The Administrator Password in Windows XP
    Ophcrack – A Password Hack Tool to Crack Almost Any Windows Password