How can I recover my Linux Terminal password?

Mr Burns August 28, 2011

I forgot my password for using the Terminal. How do I find it?

Mr Burns,

did you follow Jeffery's instructions and did they work for you? Please let us know!

Hi Mr Burns,

You mean you forgot the root password? You'll want to restart in Recovery Mode. If you only have one operating system installed, you won't receive a boot menu, in which case hold "shift" or "ESC" while booting and a menu should appear, then chose "Recovery mode".

You will be presented with another menu, chose the last option "Root - Drop to root shell prompt". You now have root privileges (be careful!)

Now type in the terminal, "passwd
    username" without quotes. Replace "username" with your name. For instance, if I were to do it I would type:
    passwd Jeffery

passwd is not a misspelling. Since you want to change the Root password, it should be "passwd root". When you press enter, you will get no verification that it was completed successfully. You'll be prompted to enter the password again (confirmation) do so. 

If that doesn't work, here are some other helpful articles:
    Reset Your Forgotten Ubuntu Password in 2 Minutes or Less
    How to reset Ubuntu root password

How to reset your password in Ubuntu