How can I recover my full RAM capacity?

Omstavan Samant June 9, 2011

I have a Pentium 4 Compaq PC with 256 MB RAM. The problem is that it shows 248 MB RAM and I guess that the 8MB gets used up in booting.

While formatting my PC it shows 8MB of unpartitioned space. Is this unpartitioned 8MB the RAM that I am missing? If yes then how can I use it as RAM? If no, then also how can I use it as RAM?

I actually want to install UBUNTU 10.10 Desktop edition, which requires 256MB RAM. So how can I recover it?

I actually thought our website might be broken and republishing 5 year old questions when I read this in my feed.

I very much doubt that the most recent ubuntu would run acceptably on those specs. Take those "required" specs with a pinch of salt. You really need to try something a lot lighter, but I have no suggestions myself. Personally, I wouldnt even trust something with those specs as a dumbed down router. 

(At least on Windows) There is always 1 cylinder up to 8MB unpartitioned space reserved on your Hard Drive in case you want to convert partitions into a dynamic disk later on ~ not sure if that's the same reason for Ubuntu.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your 256~248MB RAM

As for the 8MB of missing RAM I can only assume that you are using some Integrated Graphis Processor (onboard GPU). In that case it will always take some amount of your RAM for video memory ~ usually you can adjust this settings within the BIOS but 8MB is most likely the minimum the IGP needs. No way to prevent this...

If you want to run Ubuntu Desktop Edition I can only suggest to upgrade to at least 512MB RAM. This will enable you to install Ubuntu, result in far better performance and in case the above is correct it will most likely come cheaper then buying some dedicated Graphics Card.