How can I recover files a virus changed into .exe?
Question by Francisca Moses /

My flash drive picked up a virus that changed my folders into shortcuts.

Later I picked up a further virus as soon as I placed my flash into my PC. It placed files that I did not recognize on my flash and then it changed most of my files into exe, and par extension files.I would like to recover my files but I don’t know how.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software

• yekoko

How I can solve …my application file has been changed virus, how to recover my original application file?? Please help me….

• Iyke

Dear frnd. …..
      One of the simplest way to do this is to go to the recovery mode depending in your technical know how…. or unhide all hidden files and show their file extensions…. any file that has double file extension is assumed to be harmful…. because a file can not be a picture and a music at the same time…. so any file with two file extensions should be deleted or changed

• Amit Sinha

just take your file on external drive and insert it into any Linux operating PC then there you can easily change your file extension from “.exe” to your required format

• Deekshith Allamaneni

Viruses do not change our files to EXE. In most of the cases, it hides our files and creates new exe files with the same name.
    You can recover them by:
    1. Booting into Linux either dual boot or Live CD.
    2. Changing settings to view hidden and os files. (But this 2’d option does not work in most cases of virus attack)

So, booting from any Linux distribution is recommended.

• ish

{Viruses do not change our files to EXE. In most of the cases, it hides our files and creates new exe files with the same name.
      You can recover them by:
      2. Changing settings to view hidden and os files. (But this 2?d option does not work in most cases of virus attack)

So, booting from any Linux distribution is recommended.}

This comment helped me out a lot.

Thank you it is appreciated.

• antony27 avjy27

here the solution,first try some good antivirus program and installed it in your computer,try microsoft securtiy essential and update the definition…now check your whole PC if virus is in your hard disk or not..now use malware software like Iobit malware or anti-malware bytes…and again check the whole PC…change the setting in both anti-virus software real time scan and USB scan….now insert your flash drive…it shows how many virus attacked in your flash drive….actually .ink and trojan virus do like this create the shortcut folder…try to use good antivirus it can 100% solve this problem……

• Dimal Chandrasiri

I really hope this virus you r talking is not the same I think it is. bt I came across one virus which happens to do the same that you describe. the thing is, it creates exe files of all the folders in the usb and deletes the folders permanently. if that’s the case, m afraid you’ve lost your data. if you are lucky enough, the virus might have hidden the folders. :) try running a DIR command to see what is inside the USB. :)

• vasu gupta

you should put the shortcuts on internet and see wether you get any matching files

• ahmed Fouad khalil

usually antivirus when clean the drive, remove the virus effect on the file, and the file become correct otherwise, remove the file if could not fix

you can try the following from winhelponline
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

perhaps to run the reg files also in the USB key if on the desktop do not work and reboot.

After cleaning the virus from your computer and the flash drive, grab File Association Fixer. It has fixes for 20+ file associations for Vista and Win7.