How can I recover files from my USB pen drive that insists it must be formatted?

Suresh Kumar S April 30, 2012

My pendrive on connecting to my computer prompts ‘the disk in the drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?’.

I have some important files in my pen drive so, I dont want to format it. How could I open my pen drive without formatting it.

I have used recovery softwares to recover files and succeed to recover all of my files in my earlier normal formatting.

But I have heard that it is not possible to recover files by this type of formatting. Is it true? If so, what’s an alterantive?

1. Augustus Miantona

How can I recover files from my USB, or disk drive without formatting it so that I won't loose my documents.I really need help in getting my documents and files out before it gets damaged or formatted from the disk drive.

2. sureshkumar.s

I used easy recovery professional and recover my files partially, some files are corrupted and could not recovered.

3. Tim Lewallen

Try a Mac OS based computer. Sometimes we get drives that won't mount on our Windows computers but a Mac can mount it and at least copy the files to a CD.

4. Patrick Anthony

A few weeks ago the same thing happend to me, I almost had a heart attack. I have a 1GB USB External HD that I stores all my music movies and installations and after formatting my desktops internal HD and reinstalling OS (win7 and ubuntu 11.04) when I clicked on the HD in win7 it asked me to please format drive before using..... omfg my heart sank my palms got sweaty i felt despair and rage and all sorts of other emotions all at once... I shutdown my desktop and unplugged and plugged it back in restarted again and ta-da. It worked. I don't know how this will help you but its what happend to me and how I corrected it.

5. Garey Boone

Hmmm...I'm not sure on this one but maybe get a copy of Hiren's Boot CD and see if you have any luck with the recovery tools on it.

Have you tried your USB key on different computer to see if it can be correctly recognized and files can be recovered?

ā€œtestdisk and photorec. to recover files without format
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/