How do I recover files using system restore points in Windows 7?

Martz October 24, 2011

I am wondering how to restore previous versions of files and folders using system restore points (Windows 7) after they have been deleted? Please help, is there any program which could be used to restore them?

Exploring Windows 7 System Restore & Restore Previous Versions
    http://www.blogsdna.com/2039/exploring-windows-7-system-restore-restore-previous-versions.htm

Hello, what version of windows 7 are you using?  If you are using the business, enterprise and ultimate edition you can just right click on the folder where the files were located and then select previous versions and you could recover them that way.  Are talking about the files been deleted? or the restore points been deleted?  If you are talking about files been deleted, you could do the following:

You could do the following:

-- click on start
    -- type backup on search box
    -- select restore files
    -- it will show you three options; select files and settings
    -- select a restore point before the files were deleted
    -- and restore to that point in time

• Martz

Thanks a lot! I have Windows 7 ultimate, and when trying to see previous versions there is a message which says: no previous versions are available! So sadly, restore points dissapeared after computer was returned from computer repair shop. Before that there were only 3 of them (17, 19 and 20 oct), why so few!? As I wrote (in reply to Mjevole, see above), I also used magic uneraser to recover the important file(s), but the one we were particulary interested was not among the deleted files.

Hello, do you by any chance set up the system backup utility?  Remember that for you to be able to make a backup, you need a harddrive other than the one where the operating system is installed or an external one.  If you have that setup, and depending how it is set up, the system can keep all the images, or just the most recent ones.  You can recover to the image where the files where available and recover the files that way.  Of course, as I said before, this would work only if you set the backup. 

The reason that you probably have so few restore points could depend on the amount of storage you have assigned for restore points.  As you know, restore points are done often, specially when there is/are new applications installed or any changes to the system.  Try what I explained above and hopefully it works for you.  If it does not, you can try testdisk.  Beware, testdisk uses command promp, so you better familiarize yourself with command fu.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

How to use:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Remember, that the less files you saved on your system, the more chances you have of recovering your stuff before it is overwritten.

3. Mjevolve

hello , , 
    if its a program file or a System file that has been deleted or modified , 
    System Restore will recover them .

however , personal files and folders when deleted or modified are not recoverable via System Restore .

for trying to recover such files , you would have to use some other program .

start with Recuva , ( download it from piriform.com  ) .
    its free and really good in recovering deleted files .

if your are able to recover files with Recuva , 
    then you have your solution , 
    or else reply back , 
    we can try some more advanced Recovery Solutions .

try and see ...

• Martz

Funny, but previous versions of folders/files (Windows 7 ultimate) were only visible at certain System Restore points. So sadly I did not save them or restored them. But instead, tried to copy them to DVD, which for some reason did not work. After that process (copying to DVD) I deleted them from the DVD project file since I felt that this should not affect the original location of these files on hard disc (C).
      Finally I went to see whether I can go to another system restore point using same admin password (or another), to my surpirize, the were no previous restore points availabile. At the end, I used Magic Uneraser to restore deleted files and using this recovered ~10,000 files, of which 635 were MS Word (DOC) files. I searched the one which was supposed to be my wife's 2 month work (she didnt make copies!) using a specific text word, UNFORTUNATELY, amongst them there was no such file we were looking for. So, I still believe that this file is somewere on the hard disc, under the folder which is inaccessible/invisible for some reason.

• Mjevolve

ok i somewhat get what you mean to say as to how you lost your restore points .

but i still doubt if System Restore can recover personal files like doc, words or mp3 etc..

and going by your reply , i understand that you still feel that the file is there on the system and might have been deleted .

ok , 
        did you try Recuva ? 
        start the program and enter the file name or the file extension you want it to find , 
        give it the location where you feel the file might be , 
        or if not sure then let it scan the whole computer , 
        and at last , set it to "Deep" scan .
        it will take a long time to scan but that will increase the chances of getting the file back .

if the file is very important to you , 
        then you can try these paid recovery softwares .
        Get Data -- http://www.recovermyfiles.com/
        iRecovery -- http://www.icare-recovery.com/

both are very good and can recover files from a hard drive or a storage media irrespective of how the data was lost from the media . ( formats , erase , deletion etc...)

try and see ...