How can I recover features of Windows Movie Maker?

Osama Javaid March 9, 2011

A few days ago, suddenly my Windows Movie Maker in Windows XP SP2 lost many features like transitions, overlapping of audio/video tracks and many others also. Now how can I repair it? Please don’t suggest system restore because it usually reverts back many things which I don’t want.

Osama,

were you able to recover the missing features in the meantime? What solution worked for you or do you need more help. Please let us know. Thank you!

Reinstall SP2

or
    1) to display the file extensions that the type is known. In folder Options:One of the options under Advanced settings is "Hide extensions for known file types." If this option is checked, uncheck the checkbox and click Apply or OK. This setting is system wide, so unchecking this box will make file extensions appear in all folders.

2) Rename moviemk.exe in C:Program FilesMovie Maker to moviemk.exe.bak then reboot and windows will put a corrected version.
    Another way is to find a pc windows xp sp2 where windows movie maker works well.

or

1.Make a copy of Windows Movie maker 2.1 Folder on a PC that WMM work well , take a look at the version 2.1 ( not 2.0 ). this folder is in the program Files of your C: Hard Drive. the link is same as C:Program Filesmovie maker ( You can grab this copy folder following my link belowthis post page if you can not copy to another PC )

2.Go to your movie maker folder ( C:program Filesmovie maker) : you will see 3 sub-folder same as this : 1033 - MUI - Share and a lot of files .dll ( 9 or 11 files ). Now you must be Delete one by one and replace by copy and paste the new folder of you copy.(Delete folder 1033 and copy folder 1033 new then paste inside the movie maker folder,continuing with MUI and Share ).This tip for replace and do not give a double folder with same name.
    3.Now you delete all files .dll and any file you see in the movie make folder , copy all files of your new copy folder and paste to replace those files.

4.Go to your Star menu-Program ,find movie maker folder and paste the Windows Movie Maker.lnk on it or do the same thing as above delete and paste new. ( C:Document & settingall userstart menuprogrammovie maker ) may be you do not have this movie maker folder because the problem was delete it.
    5.Now Shutdown and reboot your PC. That is all ,you will see your WMM and work well form now.

3. Osama

after clicking the intall button in the context menu of moviemk.inf file, a dialogue box appears "The file moviemk.exe on windows XP Professional service pack 2 CD is needed . Type the path where the file is located and then click OK" , In the path field C:WINDOWSinfi386 is present by default and nothing happens when clicking OK with this path, so I inserted Windows XP Pro SP2 CD and changed the path to F:I386 where the file MOVIEMK is located, it's a EX_FILE type (when checking it's type) , after choosing this path and clicking OK , some files are installed to C:program filesmovie maker but when I started movie maker, nothing was fixed. I restarted my PC, repeated the procedure but nothing happened.

How to Reinstall Windows Movie Maker
    NOTE: You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:
    %systemroot%inf

NOTE : There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

Click OK to open the INF folder.
    Locate the file moviemk.inf
    Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Search needs to proceed normally.

You will be asked to place your windows XP cd rom in the drive.
    For Windows Movie Maker 2.1 You do not need the XP CD ROM because you have updated. C:WindowsService pack Filesi386moviemk.exe is needed

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/articles/418/1/How-to-Reinstall-Windows-Movie-Maker