How can I recover a drive partition formatted by the Ubuntu installer?

rama moorthy September 21, 2012

I have a Windows XP computer with a hard drive that has 3 partitions (200GB, 250GB and 50GB). I had Windows XP on the 50GB partition.

I decided to go with Linux for awhile so I installed Ubuntu. It put it on the 200GB partition. It formatted that partition and installed Ubuntu. While I was installing the electricity went out and when I booted back up Windows XP said that “ntldr is missing.” So I re-installed Windows XP on the 50GB partition.

But now, since I’ve re-installed XP, I can’t view the 200GB hard drive partition formatted by the Ubuntu installer. How can I recover it?

1. rama moorthy

Hey Guys .. Thank you for all ..! hard disk recovered .. but still 50 Gb is unrecovered ..
    I am going to through this hard drive as soon as possible ..!

2. christopher malek

You need to re-install Ubuntu into your 200 gb partition. When you re-installed XP, it overwrote your Master Boot Record (MBR) wiping out any reference to other OSs, in this case Ubuntu.

During the installation, Ubuntu will ask you if you where you want to install GRUB, which is a Logon Manager. Install it into the MBR. GRUB will recognize that Windows is present along with Ubuntu. During boot up GRUB will show a screen giving you a choice of an OS to boot (Windows or Ubuntu in your case)

When creating a system with Windows and other OS(s), you MUST (re)install Windows first because Windows will overwrite the MBR wiping out any pointers to the other OS(s). Then the other OS(s) can be (re)installed. Linux and other OSs are not as proprietary about the MBR, they will update it rather than overwrite it.

• christopher malek

I forgot to mention above that it would avoid similar problems in the future if you would do a mirror copy of your hard drive regularly. Then, if your HD gets wiped out somehow, all you have to do is a restore. Clonezilla or ReDoBackup are good for making mirror images of HDs.

3. Amit Sinha

the partition used by Ubuntu cannot be seen in windows explorer if you want your Ubuntu partition back then you have to remove Ubuntu.

4. Deekshith Allamaneni

I recommend you to use "TestDisk" utility software from Ubuntu Live CD and recover your files.

Link:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

5. josemon maliakal
  6. Saina Nehwal

If you installed Ubuntu then you need linux cd or os to reformat the hard drive to view specific partition on windows environment.

7. Kernel Recovery Tools

You can view the partition through disk management and you can format make it active through there. It will be appear like unknown partition you can change and format it.

8. Ahmed Khalil

i think partion magic can help you

boot on parted magic, see your Ubuntu partition right click on it and format to NTFS, reboot and check if you see your new partition.
    http://partedmagic.com/download.html

10. Freecycle Me

I dont know if testisk or photo rec work on Linux systems, they are what I use on lost windows files. Have you tried yo view the partition by looking from a livecd, this would give you an idea if they are accessible. Can you boot up the ubuntu side? was it installed with Wubi or via a native distro install?

What, exactly, do you mean by you can't "view" the Ubuntu partition? If you open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), you should be able to see all of the partitions on the drive. If you are referring to the ability to view it through Windows Explorer, that is normal since Windows does not understand Linux filesystems (unless you have installed a third-party driver).

• rama moorthy

Hey Thank you Bruce .. Thank you very much .. That works fine..

I have recovered 115 GB by using dickmgmt.msc .. but still 50 GB left .. when I tried to recover it showed error "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation .. but I am having more than 300 GB of free space left in harddisk ..

Thank you ..!