How can I recover documents corrupted by a Trojan?

maliet November 1, 2011

I have had my documents corrupted by a Trojan horse or something like that. When I open a file it is replaced by the text like this “I am sorry, I am really sorry. I will not do it again.” is there any way to recover these files?

Try system restore to a system restore point when you could work with your documents normally.
    restore only if such restore point is available.

• Anon

I don't think that system restore will works on document files since it only captures system data rite...?

Hello, if you are running Windows 7 with the Pro version an up and Vista from Business version an up, you might be able to check if there is/are previous versions for the files.  All you have to do, is navigate to folder where files are stored.  Right click on one of the files, select properties and in box that pops up select the previous version tab.  After scanning the drive, it will show you if there/are any previous versions.  If you have XP, I am afraid that option is not there.

• Jeff Fabish

Unfortunately, previous version of documents are only generated after a restore point is created. 

You are right, unfortunately we do not have enough information about what happened and/or what has been tried.

If the trojan rewrote the content of a document, I'm afraid there is no way. However, if the file was deleted you may use a File Recovery tool. Again, this will only succeed if the file was deleted AND the contents were preserved.