How can I recover deleted files in Windows?

fitzevy February 8, 2010

I need a free program to recover 3 JPEG’s I accidentally deleted from my computer 1/29/10 or 1/30/10. Or just tell me how to do this without a program.

1. leslie

First check recycle bin,if you wont find means install a backup s/w and try to recover the file which you have deleted.......its very simple no need of backing up total files or no need of restoring the entire system.......

try easeus data recovery wizard free edition...u can recover 1gb of data for me its the best software in the lineup......

3. Juan Marco

Its on, your backup disk!

4. Dj Vikas

there are many recovery software  are available on the in the internet...use them.

5. Balvinder Singh

I would recommend using Recuva. or Glary/Restorator....
    If you want to have a good back up utility, Comodo time Machine solves all the problem.  It is a great resource for backing up system state, files and hard disk with a very less space. It even returns non-booting systems back to original.
    But for the recovery purpose Recuva is recommended.

6. Santiago

try glary utilities it will recover any kind of file that has been deleted recently

7. AdityaRA

active file recovery

8. BinarySemantics

Try restore option

9. aijay

first of all if you accidentally deleted  file by shift+del or through recycle bin, than you have to choose any of these free software to recover your files, photos or anything.

recuva, from here-, the best free recovery software.
        it is very easy to navigate, all you have to do to select a drive C OR D drive from    which you accidentally deleted your 3 JPEG’s, IF you are sure or have an idea you can choose from Pictures, Documents, Music, Video & Compressed files OR  if you are not sure from where the JPEG's deleted you can retrieve all your drives by only cheking the box in the left sides of drives named. in program overview you can see files size, date of creation .
                 one thing that i personally faced you, when i recovered my files, there was three virus as avast warned me that was in hard disk. comes out with recovered files so do install a good anti-virus & scan after recovering your JEPG's.

10. Robertpowell12321

If you haven't already, I would check your "recycling bin". All deleted files go there first. Your recycling bin should be located on your desktop screen.

• hesoyam

I bet you mean "Recycle Bin" dude..

Hello, PhotoRec is pretty good.  It works from the command line though...

Step by step for using PhotoRec:

12. Czd8327368

i  have same  problems ........

13. Brangelus0417

Good day...we have a projector at our church and when connecting it with te laptop and attempting to show images from powerpoint it only shows half of the image..we bought a second monitor so we wouldn't show what type of arrangments we would do..but monitor 1 which is the laptop and monitor 2 which is the monitor by itself..switch when projecting the image through the projector..what could I do..your help would mean alot

I recommend that you ask a new question.

Please use 'Ask a Question' button on the top.

14. Osama

yup recuva is great for undeletion

15. Guest
  16. Sonny Bass

Recuva from piraform is one of the best

17. Mcgee1724

Try system restore, if you can restore to a date before the deletion the files may recover themselves

As far as I am aware the Syetm Restore doesn't recover user deleted
      files unless it's a system or some kind of configuration file.

To recover a document or any other personal file refer to the tools
      recommended in answers to similar questions before

• Mcgee1724

That would make sense, i'm not so sure on the workings of system restore as my virus software stops system restore from working so i have never had the opportunity to use it.

If you do manage to restore your files i would recommend backing up your personal files on an external storage device such as a hdd or memory stick.

• Ganesh

Dude,backing up is never an option as u ll ve to spend a huge amount on buying a hard disc and even then u cant store everything. normally those which u don store or neglect as unimportant cost u. so i recommend u to install TUNE UP UTILITIES 2010, from which files can easily be restored. once i accidentally deleted whole of movies stored in my laptop(arround 22 GB) which i recovered successfully. :)  

First of all, did you check your Recycle Bin?

If the files are no longer in there, you will need a tool to recover them. Fortunately for you, Windows doesn't actually delete files, it just removes them from its "table of contents". So if the files have not been overwritten with other data, you should be able to recover them.

MakeUseOf has covered several tools that can potentially help you: