How can I recover data from a hard drive I dropped?

mohd ayyub khan October 15, 2012

My Western Digital SATA hard drive was dropped from a height of about one meter, after that it will not be detected by a PC. I want to get data from it, is that possible?

1. Jo Yu

Simply a data recovery software maybe helpful for you.

2. Christian H M√łnsted

Try TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk - it has worked for me several times - it's a beet geeky, but get the job done

3. Oliver

Recover is possible as long as your drive is not physically damaged. Unplug and connect it to another working computer. If the problem drive is showing in disk management or My Computer, you are in luck and might easily save your data back to another location.

Use data recovery software (Stellar Phoenix) to recover data from damaged drive as sometime your computer can't read the drive easily.

Good Luck!!

Does it initialize (startup and run)? When you say "detected by a PC" is that by the BIOS or by Windows?

5. vivek yadav

try connecting it...if its working then its ok or else there are professional methods of retreaving data back but are very costly....

Get a new hard drive and instal it as your primary drive. Then instal the damaged drive drive as a slave on your machine. You might just be able to access the files on the damaged drive. Try it.

7. Tarek Ramadan

put it in sealed plastic bag then in the freezer for 24 ours then use a program called "get data back"

• John Pavelko

When people make a comment like this "put it in a sealed plastic bag then in the freezer for 24 hrs" it would be helpful to explain why they recommend such a counter-intuitive action

8. Dave Rimmer

As long as you have not dropped it on to the connection part ie the part that connects to your PC then it may be fine, just connect it up as the second drive the see if you can access it that way.

9. RaMaN
  10. Dimal Chandrasiri

since you've dropped it, you cannot obtain warranty for it, unless it was a height the warranty contract states. if the height is withing the warranty limit ( read well you warrant document ) please take you HDD drive to a local store and ask them to replace the drive. and tell them to back up the data as well.

11. Annette Pygott

I know of a firm that are really reason on price!! message me and i'll give you the details. My spindle arm broke after i dropped mine...please do not try to open as you may damage disk...but they can recover ...mine cost 150 in total....resanable i think.

12. Kypros Vassiliou

Does it make a funny noise when you start the computer? If yes then you are screwed!!! If not you are lucky and can try to recover it. There are many programs if you search Google. I recommend Recuva

• John Pavelko

This is the comment I did not want to read. Ouch, I guess I am screwed

• Sean Padlo

Sometimes if you seat your drive differently, if you put it in refrigeration prior to access, and run recovery programs, you can recover your files... try setting the drive on its side, upside down, the other side, etc. One of these things might work... then you NEED to get your files fast, because it's only a matter of time before your drive is completely useless, and that time could be VERY short.

13. Deekshith Allamaneni

It is theoretically possible by reading the data from the disk bit by bit and recovering files. I have seen a few useful answers already written here.
    But I insist you to consult any expert instead of doing it yourself if your hard disk has any important data. Bucause, if you do any mistake, you can't get your data back.

14. Harry Barnes

once you have the hard drive being detected, try installing recuva, it is a great program for saving corrupted files

There are lot of It people who only specialises in data recovery. You can google and find one available in your city and solicit their help if the data in it is life or death for you. However, they will charge you for the consultation.

16. Drew Butler

Most of the time it is damage to the housing rather than the hdd itself.

17. Saurabh Banwaskar

It Is Possible That The HDD Damaged Inside. I Will Recommend You To contact A Hardware Expert Or Manufacturer To Recover Your Data

buy another same Western Digital, move the older disk inside the new one.

• Sean Padlo

I've done this... sometimes the board becomes cracked when dropped, and swapping can work. It's best to check for physical defects first, and run recovery programs such as Recuva to see if files can be rescued that way.

But it IS a difficult process, so if your files are VERY important, it would be best to pay to have your files recovered professionally.

19. Russell Smith

Hello Mohd Ayyub khan,
    Your may receive damage inside hardware part. To get right information, you must contact to manufacturer to repair or replace your hard drive.

It is possible to recover your lost data from hard drive.Send your hard drive to data recovery lab .

If you are interested to avail information about data recovery lab then reply to me.

Regards
    Russell Smith

20. Harish Jonnalagadda

I used active file recovery to get all my data. It did an incredible job of it too.

21. Gordon Scott

grc.com

22. davegeeit

If your hard disk if physically damaged then you need to visit data recovery services company to get back data again.

And

I f your hard disk is not damaged physically, Download "RecoveryFix for Windows" software to repair Windows partiton. You may try free trial version of software to see the preview of recover data.

http://www.partitionrecoveryfreeware.net

23. Brian Mok

I read on Lifehacker that you can maybe you can put your hard drive into your freezer. Here's a link to the article: http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

• Eserpess der

Really?...Well that's not suss, not suss at all.

• Eserpess der

You can try some recovery file software, start googling.

• Ahmed Khalil

i hear about it before also, but i think let him use this as last option

24. Drew Butler

Yes and you can do it for free if you have a (newish) desktop computer. Remove the drive from the case and install it in your tower. if other sata cables are needed you can always unhook the dvd/cd drive and plug that cable into the hdd in question. then boot up your pc and see if it reads the drive. If you have an older computer then search for a 3.5 inch sata usb 2.0 hdd enclosure on amazon or newegg.
    good luck :)