How can I recover data from a dead hard drive?

Bruce December 12, 2010

How do I retrieve files from a dead hard drive in a working laptop?

1. Paul-G

Unless the drive is making horrible noises the fault is often on the circuit board attached to the drive. They are easy to swap. Buy EXACTLY the same make/model from FeeBay or similar site. Swap the board and recover the data.

2. Mohitk117

I used the Lsoft Active Recover Suite once, and recovered all my files from a dead hard disk! It was a iso image file of a bootable recovery LIVE disk... It scans your partitions and makes the files and folders available for view... then you can browse around your files in the LIVE bootable disk, and copy anything to an external media or even burn it...

The software is called "Lsoft Active File Recovery" ...

search for "lsoft active recovery bootable rapidshare" on google, I'm sure you'll be able to find a working link... the iso might be about 150-300 mb iso... you'll have to burn the iso to a cd.... then boot from the cd.

• Osaliki

@Mohitk117, this post was about 9 months ago but my external HDD died with all my MOV video files in it. my HDD is 2TB. I tried a program called testdrive which recognized it and I started the recovering process but it as taking so long that I decided to restart the process. I turned off the computer and the HDD but when tried again the HDD was no show. Now, I have tried evey single program suggested here and success.  Lsoft Active File Recovery is a bit confusing, I tried ICare Recovery and it recognized the HDD but it shows 0.0 KB as if the HDD had no information at all. If anyone can PLEASE advice on this matter PLEASE email me at osaliki@yahoo.com

Osaliki,

as you said yourself, this question was posted 9 months ago. I recommend you to ask a new question!

3. Andrew Lindsay

Right now you can get the iCare Disaster Recovery Software for free. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20025450-58.html?tag=nl.e796

This may help,
    Andrew

Hi
    is the hard recognizedby BIOS

If there's mechanical damage, send it to the pros, also platter motor can be stucked, this is a source of your problems.

so take the labels off of the hard drive to expose all of the Torx screws that hold the lid on. removed all of the screws and very gently removed the lid, exposing the platters (discs.). plugge the USB cable into computer, if platter dont spin, then do it gently bt touching center hub and NOT the platter surface. SO if starts to spin then disconnecte the drive momentarily to reset it, then plugge it back in, so hope that wil show it in your pc.

try spinrite
    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm