Is it possible to recover data from a broken CD?
Question by zammy /

I have the original COD 2 CDs (6 in total) and one of them has cracked during transportation. Now I can’t install the whole game because one CD is broken! What can I do?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Pradiguru

Is there any chance to recovery the data from broken cd and pleas let me know if there is any software for recovering data from broken cd’s.pleas help me out for this problem because i have some important photos in that cd.

• Oron Joffe

DON’T try to play the disc, it’s too dangerous. I’d suggest looking around the internet (twitter, facebook, freecycle or anything else) to see if you can find someone who can copy the disc for you.

• John McClain

Keep in mind that after installation, you only need disc 1 to play single player. Multiplayer doesn’t require any of the discs to run once the game is installed. So, I’d say your best option would be to try to find and download that particular disc like jjfox82 said. You can also buy used copies of the game for pretty cheap online.

I’m still an avid CoD2 PC gamer myself. Hope to see you in game!

• Josh Fox

If it’s not a disc that is needed during game play, I would say this would qualify as a legitimate cause for downloading that particular disk from a torrent. That would save you the trouble of attempting data recovery. If the disk is cracked through the data side, it would be impossible to do a complete recovery anyway.

If the disc isn’t cracked all the way through, there is a small chance you can recover at least some data from it. However, if the information resides on a broken part of the data recording layer, there isn’t much hope. Also, a cracked disc can fly apart inside a drive or player, usually damaging it and, possibly, anyone standing in front of it. Broken CDs and DVDs are usually beyond salvage.

If you’re desperate enough to try to recover a cracked disc’s data, use an old CD or DVD drive you no longer need. If you’re trying to copy the CD to another disc, set your software to read the cracked CD at the slowest possible speed. This should keep the rotation speed low, giving the disc a better chance of surviving. Many drives will automatically spin a freshly inserted disc up to maximum speed while reading it, so be prepared.

You can reduce the chance of a slightly cracked disc flying apart during playback by applying an adhesive label or packing tape to its nonrecordable side. A CD-shaped label is the best option, as it will preserve the balance of the disc as it spins in the drive.

If you choose to use packing tape, apply a single strip of tape across the middle of the entire disc, following the crack lengthwise. Trim excess tape from the center hole and edges of the disc. If done correctly, this makeshift repair won’t upset the disc’s balance.

After you copy the data from a cracked CD or DVD, throw the disc away so that you don’t accidentally try to use it in a notebook drive or something similarly expensive/hard to fix.