Is there a way to recover corrupt PrintMaster-CreateaCard NWS extension files?

Paul Pruitt April 23, 2011

A prospective client of mine apparently has a bunch of corrupt PrintMaster Newsletter files. I’ve looked at the files in a hex viewer and they look fine in comparison to newly created nws files, they just won’t open in Broderbund PrintMaster 7 or Print Shop 21.

1. Socrtwo

ha14 however did provide valuable info.  So somehow I need to get ahold of a cheap version of either of those programs,

2. Socrtwo

It looks like Print Master 2.0 and 2011 are the more recent versions, but there is no trial versions.  You either have to pay $29 or agree to a trial-pay offer which when I looked through the offers, none were appealing.  Oh well.  I appreciate your follow up :-).

3. Socrtwo

Tina, I had difficulty following the reasoning: Is PrintMaster 2.0 an earlier version than PrintMaster 7? Or is it a recent version and similar to Printmaster 2011?  Also if PrintMaster 2.0 is a much earlier version, where can I find PrintMaster 1.0 say to try to open the file?  If it is a later version should I try to download a trial version of PrintMaster 2011? 

I have tried now Print Master 7 and 15 and Print Shop 23, none of which work...I will try to find demo versions of Print Master 1.0, 2.0 and 2011.

I'm afraid I don't know. Can't you find this information on the website of the software developer?

Paul,

were you able to recover the files with the solution provided by ha14? Please let us know!

PrintMaster 2.0:

Project files which were created with any version of PrintMaster earlier than PrintMaster 2.0 cannot be opened in PrintMaster 2.0. That is because PrintMaster 2.0 is a completely redesigned version of PrintMaster which has an entirely new file format. And, that file format is not compatible with any earlier version of PrintMaster.

PrintMaster 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18:

It should be possible to open all Project files created in PrintMaster® 7 and higher, The Print Shop® 10 and higher, and American Greetings® CreataCard® 5 and higher. Once opened, those projects can be modified, viewed and printed as desired.

NOTE: Even though PrintMaster 7 was released by Mindscape, I have confirmed that projects created in PrintMaster 7 can be easily opened or imported into newer versions of PrintMaster. However, if an error message is ever displayed during an open/import which says, "The picture is missing or unreadable," that would indicate that 'save copy of picture files in project' was not selected when the PrintMaster 7 project was saved. Since pictures are not automatically saved with PrintMaster 7 projects, if that 'save copy of picture files in project' option is not selected when the project is saved, that picture will be lost if the project file is opened/imported into a newer version of PrintMaster.

PrintMaster 2, 3, 4:

All versions of PrintMaster earlier than version 7 were released by either Kyocera or MicroLogic. So, the file format for those previous versions *might* not be compatible with the file format for the Broderbund versions of PrintMaster.
    http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37111

technical support
    http://support.encore.com/