How do I record streaming audio in Audacity on my Windows 7PC?

Drsunil V August 11, 2014

How to record streaming audio using Audacity on windows 7 PC?

Best look it up in the manual (same page as above). It's somewhat simpler in XP as the "What U hear" device is usually shown by default.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. Please clarify , the "What U Hear" option for XP can be verified , in which menu of Audacity

• Oron J

This is explained in the manual.

Basically, most of the names of input/output channels on sound cards are standardised: speakers, microphone, line-in, line-out. Sundcard drivers also have a function that takes any sound that's being played through the soundcard and uses it as an input channel, but there's no standard name for it. Common names include "what U hear" (which used to be the most popular name) and "Stereo mix" (the most common name nowadays). However, or your systrem it may have some other name - the name varies from soundcard to soundcard and from one OS version to another.

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. I asked , because it mentions Device menu. Please tell , that if antivirus identifies Freecorder as malware, is falsely harmful?

• Oron J

Having never used Freecorder, I can't really answer that with authority. It seems to be a valid app. Sometimes valid software is offered by certain download sites with "PUP" (Potentially Unwanted Software"), which AV software may warn you about, and you can also get false positives (good software identified as malicious) but as I said, I have no experience with this package.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. Please tell how to get valid software ( for eg. Freecorder ) without PUP?

• Oron J

As I said, I've never used it myself, but if it is AT ALL available without PUP then that woudl be from http://freecorder.com/.

• Sunil

Thanks. I agree , but these days even publishers monetize "freeware" with PUP

The answer is too long to include here, but it is covered in Audacity's help under the title "Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Windows" (it's also available online here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html).

In a nutshell, you need to record from a virtual device called "Stereo Mix", "What U Hear" or some other such strange name. This device is usually hidden by default in Windows 7, and you need to enable it by going into the "recording devices" window, right clicking in the blank area and ticking "show Disabled devices", then right click on the "Stereo Mix" device (or whatever it's called on your system and enable it. If you then select your soundcard as the input device in Audacaity, you will find the virtual input available as one of your choices. QED.

• Sunil

Thanks. Please tell , how to enable pc's option in windows xp

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. The labnol link mentions using wires. But what about streaming audio ( not for mic recording )

maybe in Audacity settings select your recording device input Stereo Mix.
      http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=recording&i=streaming

• Sunil

okay thanks