How can I record sound from my PC in Windows 7?

sarathy June 21, 2011

I am unable to record sound from my PC, such as podcast or streaming music from Windows 7. In Windows XP I used to record enabling stereomix. Such an option is not available in Windows 7.

1. Sarathy

Thank you very much With your timely tips I have enabled the streomix.
    regards
    sarathy

Thanks for the feedback, Sarathy!

2. Rodrigo

Hi there, sarathy.

The stereomix feature is available in windows 7, however it's hidden for some reason i don't know. Here is what you need to do in order to enable it:

1) Go to the Control Panel;
    2) Under "View by", make sure "large icons" is selected. This is to make sure you see every option available;
    3) Open up "Sound";
    4) Click on the "Recording" tab;
    5) Now you will see a list of recording devices. Right click the empty space on the list and select "Show Disabled Devices";
    6)"Wave Out Mix" or something similar should appear, right click on it and check "enable". Now you are ready to record any sound that goes through your sound card, just the way you used to do in Windows XP. Optionally, if you plan to use this feature extensively, you can also check, on the same menu where you checked "enable", "Set as Default Device.

Best Regards

Rodrigo Silva