How can I record live audio/video streams?

Justin April 25, 2011

I watch a lot of online TV and cable channel streams. No, I don’t use a TV tuner. The streams can be found on the internet. Are there any free applications that can record these LIVE streams and include the audio part too?

1. Deke
  2. jack

Bandicam is the best.

3. sotiris greece

YOUCAM the software with you webcam

4. sotiris greece

sIMPLY USE the ""youcam"" software that comes with your laptop in order to use your webcam or download it . Then choose deskttop capture, fixed area and.......thats all!!!!!

5. Callum

how can you get a livestream for things like minecraft

6. Shekhar Alongit

I also suggest VLC and WONDERSHARE , both seems good and free option..  Enjoy anyone of them.

7. Angelina

It has an embedded screen recorder, which can work as
    Camstudio, to record video computer screen, media player, Skype chat program,
    etc. The video converter allows you to change the video format as you needs.  

8. Cadu

Hi. I am looking for a video-audio screen capture. Do you know if streaming video is able to do it? My main purpose is to capture skype chat with video-audio together. 

9. Suharasons

tv vedio&audio to lap top by USB

10. Justin_kredible

Just to give you, folks, some examples of the payware I was referring to above, here is a list:

1. Web Stream Recorder - has a trial version:

2. Audials - has 3 parts:

3. WebVideoCap - Capture Flash video and RTSP/MMS streams

4. Jakstra

Streaming media protocols include:

MMS (Microsoft Media Services) is also called NetShow Services.

MMS using UDP is called MMSU.

MMS using TCP is called MMST.

RTSP using UDP is called RTSPU.

RTSP using TCP is called RTSPT.

protocol is the default protocol for streaming Windows Media. RTSP
    protocol is also used for streaming RealMedia/RealVideo/RealAudio,
    streaming QuickTime video (.mov, .mp4, .sdp streams).

The majority of streams are streamed through HTTP, RTSP, MMS and RTMP.

protocol is used for RealMedia/RealVideo/RealAudio streaming only. RTMP
    protocol is used for Flash audio and video streams only. Media files
    can also be streamed through HTTP or other protocols.

To find the right stream recorder, you first must know which protocols are being used by the streams you want to capture. Next important thing you need to find out is the real URL (the filename and server address) of the stream you want to record. Unfortunately, some links to streaming audio and video that you come
    across on the web are hidden behind Javascript or ActiveX scripts.
    Because of this, it is sometimes very difficult to figure out the
    actual URLs that correspond to the streams being played LIVE. Which brings us to URL sniffers. Here are a few of examples of URL sniffers:

1. Wireshark - freeware

2. CooJah + Blader - both freeware

3. URL Snooper - freeware

The whole process gets really involved.

11. Justin_kredible

I guess what I'm looking for is LIVE STREAMING video recorder that supports FLASH and RTMP & RTMP/E protocols, among others. Most of the software that are capable of doing that are payware, not freeware. I was hoping that the people in this awesome website would know one that's free and at the same time extremely functional.

12. jello

I tried the VLC approach for the first time, but it did not work as easy for me. I had to do the steps mentioned in the following link to get it too work. I have been using the debut software for some time. This is a nice alternative, but required some tweaking for me anyways.

As @openid-57392:disqus as already mentioned, using VLC to record the streaming video will be the easiest method. Open up VLC , then select View --> Advanced Controls. Now, a set of new buttons for recording , taking screenshot etc. appears above the normal play, pause buttons.

Open the real time stream of your choice by selecting "Media --> Open Network Stream (Ctrl +N) " and then entering the address. Now, when you want to start the recording , click on that new record button and click it again when you want to stop the recording. The recorded will be saved in your "My Vidoes" folder by default. That's it.

If you want to go ahead with the command line interface, this documentation will guide you

• Justin Kredible

I followed the steps that you listed here. But VLC just won't do it. I was trying to record the stream from this site:

14. Wayne Holly

Try VLC. The software allows for recording of live audio and video streams. And it's free!

• Justin Kredible

I use VLC but don't know how to use it to capture video streams like the ones found in or

15. Justin Kredible

I have tried CamStudio before but it won't record the audio. It just records the video. I remember following a tutorial one time on how to properly record live stream using CamStudio but when I followed the steps strictly, the recorded audio came out very faint. I haven't tried Debut yet. Same thing happened when I tried SnagIt, even the commercial version. I want to record the audio at the same level when I'm watching the LIVE stream. I wonder if this is just not possible at all. Thanks for all your help. Sorry for not being able to respond as quickly. I have totally forgotten that I posted this issue here.

you should be able to record audio with CamStudio and other tools. Are you sure your audio recording settings are right? This might actually be worth a new question, although I can also include this one in the list of toughest questions for next Tuesday.

• Justin Kredible

Tina, thanks for your patients. I'm not too tech-savvy with these things so I'm not sure if my settings are right when I use CamStudio. I'm pretty close to giving up. 

this thread has become quite long and complicated. Thus I recommend that you post a new question.

Please refer to your original question, explain what stream exactly you want to record (you mentioned it here), what you have already tried, and (in case you know) why it didn't work.

If you summarize everything neatly, you are more likely to get a great answer. It's worth the effort! :)

16. Mil Mar

The vast majority of streaming video content on the Internet is in the Flash Video – or FLV – format. Flash Video allows for highly compressed streaming video, and many websites use it because it saves space, loads quickly, and displays nicely in web browsers.

The first website that can be used to catch streaming video is KeepVid.

Just visit the site and enter in the URL of the video page you would like to download. Click Download and KeepVid will search the page for videos for you to download.

KeepVid also has a bookmarklet that you can drag up to your bookmarks bar. Just click the Keep It! button whenever you’re on a website with streaming video and you will be taken straight to the KeepVid download page for that video.

Flash Video Downloader is another website like KeepVid.

Source MUO guide:
    Capture Streaming Video From Any Website With These 5 Tools

did you try any of the tools recommended by ha14? Did they work for you?

Please let us know. Thank you!

Possible CamStudio

Debut Video Capture Software

Getting Started with Screen Capture Using Windows Media Encoder

• Cindy Orange

Hi, Justin.
      If you still can't find help on how to record online TV or other streaming audio through the mentioned programs, you can try to use a streaming audio recorder.

There are many kinds of free audio recorder like Audacity, Freecordeer, etc on the websites. You may google it. Perhaps you can refer to this streaming audio recorder link: and try it on your PC. Though it is not a free one, it is easy to operate.