Why is there no record kept in Google Mail when a document is sent via Google Docs?

Kevin Connors May 10, 2011

If you email a document from Google Docs there is no record of it in GMail “Sent” – or anywhere else making it useless for business correspondence. Anybody know why? Question posted on Google for over a year by myself and others. No answers.

1. jhpot

I suppose it doesn't work that way because the two projects were separate to begin with, and because lots of people use Google Docs without using Google Mail.

It's possible to send the Docs directly from Gmail, though, if this is a deal breaker for you. Just open the "Sharing Settings" and you'll find a link to the file. Copy that, then send it to your contacts from within Google Mail. Now you have a record. Just make sure you also add everyone who send it to as having permission to view the document!