Can you recommend me a web host or backup service that allows me to share or embed content?

Erlis Dhima August 28, 2012

Hello!

I’m searching for a host that serves only space for file backup or sharing! Video, Audio, PDF, Photo, etc to be stored in that host, and to be able to read by a web page (and browser). For example, if I have a video on that host, I want to be able to add that video on my web page, and that video can be playable by visitors.

I’m not searching for a normal host, not a host like the ones for website hosting (with PHP, Java, script recognition etc…) just a simple host. Also, a host that doesn’t cost a lot!

Hope anyone can help me! Thanks in advance! :)

1. venkatp16

gdrive,dropbox,skydrive,sugarsync

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks!

2. Irshaad Abdool

The best host for videos is youtube. Upload your videos on youtube and set its privacy to unlisted. in that way only people with the link will be able to view it. then embed the video on your site. your video will be viewable only on your site but not on youtube..
    for file sharing, why to you try setting up a NAS server at home (if you have a good and stable broadband connection)?
    or you can use solutions like Rapidshare or 4Shared.
    You can also use a usual webhost, install Joomla on your webspce, then use download plugins to set a download page. Check with your host if it is legal on their site first. Actually, if you have features like 'Unlimited Bandwidth' and 'Unlimited Webspace', you should be able to do it. Check with godaddy.com and 000webhost.com

3. i0ni

You can use youtube for videos, imgur for images, soundcloud for audio files and so on. There are a lot of free file hosting services.

• Erlis Dhima

The same thing I said to April above...
      About images, yeah, I'm using imagegur.. But tinypic isn't that bad also..
      But what I was talking, was a 'personal' host/ server, in which you can upload everything!

4. April Eum

youtube can host your video files, you can unlist them so no one can search for it. it's the easiest way to embed since they list a few ways. and most sites have the youtube url embedder. i assume you have internet connection as well. it's not like read/watch it later..

• Erlis Dhima

It's not like youtube is leaving any channel alive nowadays... Even if you set a video unlisted, it will, in most of the cases, be blocked for copyright reason...

5. Burhan Ahmed

Dropbox recently started Streaming. But as far as i remember it stopped its public folder service for new users. if you have an account already you are in luck

• Erlis Dhima

Luckily I have! ^^
      I will check it!

6. Erlis Dhima

I know about box.com, dropbox and google drive.. But all of them has a limited space limit for free edition... And they aren't so cheap..

• Sebastian Hadinata

The new Yandex Disk service provide 10gb free storage for new user, but I don't know if that is sufficient for your need, and I'm also not sure if you can embed videos or pictures using the service. But for a backup storage I think 10gb for free is quite big.

• Erlis Dhima

I'll take a look! Thanks!

• Erlis Dhima

That's a mail service! It's not needed!
        Thanks for the advice, but NO!
        It's enough Gmail! I don't have why to use others...

• Sebastian Hadinata

I'm aware that in order to use their Yandex Disk service you need to register for their mail account, but the Yandex Disk service itself is actually not an email service, its a free file storage service just like dropbox.

• Erlis Dhima

I see... I will think about it then! Thanks!

7. VictorGeis

I would go along with what Bruce says; a sync service sounds what you would basically want. I know for Dropbox you can share the link to an audio or video file that can be streamed. However, I think some of the services have a cap on how much people are visiting the links (bandwidth restrictions). So if you're planning to have a lot of people using the links, you might consider a traditional hosting service and making a basic website.

Any of the sync services that allow link sharing with others should work (Dropbox, Box.com, Google Drive, SkyDrive, etc). You should be able to use the sharing links generated by those types of services on a website. I'm not sure if they track that type of use of the links, so you may need to check to see if it would be in violation of their ToS.

• muotechguy

I'm pretty sure those can't be embedded though.