Can you recommend a video converter that allows to limit the output file size?

Mishbah Razzaque March 6, 2010

I want a video converter (paid or free) where I can limit the output file size. For example, how would I convert an 180MB video (.avi) to 100MB (.mp4/iphone) so I can share it with my friends on drop.io?

Thanks in advance

1. Suishanflying

You can try a good video converter now I am using. http://www.yuzhesoft.com/video-converter.html

Easy to use and able to convert kinds of video formats.

Try it yourself!

DVD shrink

3. ├Žnon1mus

Are you running Windows? Actually, it doesn't matter. Handbrake is cross platform: handbrake.fr/

You can specify a target output file size.

• Farhan_cbk

yes u r right. i have also used handbrake and it can do it. but now i am having trouble with my queue downloads. whenever i add one by one all the files into the queue and pressing the encode button, it starts processing but when i minimize the window, it says "not encoding''

4. Taty

You can import it into Windows Movie Maker, you can do that from the export option without having to install anything else. It's already on your computer.

5. Rajeeva

Use avidemux. It has an option of specifying a target video size when converting a video from a specific format to another. But please note that the target video size is for the video excluding the audio. However, if you get the hang of it, you can predict the audio size also and hence get the exact total video size.

• Mishbah Razzaque

Thanks. I'm gone try this software.

I would suggest you check out following MakeUseOf articles for the video conversion software.

- 5 Easy-to-use Freeware Video Converters
    - Top Free Media Converters for Windows.

Now, when it comes to the output size it depends primarily on the output video format and the conversion settings. You need to know which settings/format result in larger video file size. Below are some quick reference articles that can help you with that.

- Every Video Format You Need to Know (gizmodo.com)
    - Video Format Guide (anythingbutipod.com
    - Digital Video Formats and Video Conversion Explained (makeuseof.com)

7. Mayank

well,
    According To Me (As I Think)
    Size Is Dependent On The Format.
    For E.g If You Download A MP3 File Of Around 4-5 Min, It Would Be Of 4-6 MB In Size.
    But If U Convert It To WMA (Media Player Audio File Format), Size Would Be Around In KB's.

So I Think Just Converting The Format And Then Compressing It Via Some Method Would Be Best.

After Converting It To Ur Desired Format, Just Google Out On "How To Compress A .(Format Name After Compression) File."

8. Saikat Basu

Try out these How-tos, as explained in the following posts -

How To Compress Videos To Send Them By Email
    18 Online Tools to Edit, Mix and Enhance your Videos