Can you recommend a task manager or lite project manager?

Brent March 4, 2010

I’m searching for task manager or lite project management software to serve a specific use and need some help. I work in a creative field in a department of 2 people, all mac based, where we have lots of small ideas. Those small ideas go through a series of stages (let’s say stages 1-4) to determine whether they have potential to move forward and grow into large projects.

I’d originally been using one large excel sheet so I’d be able to have columns for notes regarding each idea and be able to sort the projects by levels etc. Recently, however, my boss has asked that we create a system where we can have reminders if we haven’t made a decision on an idea on whether to move it up or archive it or so forth. Additionally, if it were accessible to all of our small team (i.e. web based) to view and edit, that would be ideal.

So here’s the problem. Google docs doesn’t seem to allow syncing with Google calendar. So simply transferring my excel sheet to a Google doc doesn’t allow for setting reminders. Task managers don’t allow me all the features I want. Project managers seem built for much more complex systems and seem overkill. Does anyone know of a free web based software / widget / hack that might work well to achieve this?

I’m thinking a blown out version of Google tasks (which does sync with gcal) or some lite use of Manymoon. I’ve also seen Remember the Milk but going into all these options somewhat blind.

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. Asd

If you want wery simple (and fast) tasks mangement tool then try Rooksoft TaskMan.

The main thing which I need for managing projects, which can't be handled by simple or complex task lists, is ability to show Dependencies, i.e., "What must be done before this task can finish?" Next is: easy Timelines. Next: Notifications and Updates via E-mail.
    I see MS Project 2007 on sale for $87. I have used this for about 30 years, even for home remodels, etc. You can use it to build a large building, or for every simple project you do. It will give you many different types of charts and analyses, if you want them, or just a simple Task List and Gantt Chart. Why get "crappy", if you can get "pro" for that little money. I believe that it also interfaces with MS Office and MS Outlook. Yes, it takes a few hours to learn the basics, but the time is well spent by any manager who runs projects (don't we all?)

3. David Wang

Check out http://www.simplizt.com. It's a task management system I created, modeled around the getting things done system. I tried to make it as easy to use as possible. If you have any specific needs, I'd be happy to try and model the system around your suggestions!.

4. Steve

Check out basecamp, and all their associated tools/applications.

5. ænon1mus

We've recently published an article about this. Why don't you check it out to see if it works for you: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/organize-execute-collaborative-projects-google-apps/

6. Brent

Hi Guys, thanks for this, really appreciate it. These are terrific and I reviewed all. Given that GQueues is fully compatible with google calendars and free, I think this will work perfectly.

Thanks!
    Brent

Hey Brent

Glad you found one. Let us know if you need anything else.

7. Cameron

You might want to check out GQueues (www.gqueues.com) - which is more powerful than Google Tasks yet still integrates with all your Google products. It allows you to set due dates and reminders for tasks, integrates with your Google Calendar, allows you to share lists and collaborate with others, and has simple drag and drop sorting. Oh, and you login with your existing Google Account, so you don't have to register for anything new.

9. timmyjohnboy

A relatively simple solution could be http://en.reddynote.com which allows collaboration. Haven't put it to task quite yet but seems promising:)

Take a look at Intervals for project management. It might be a little more complex that what you need but it is very versatile.

11. Robert Allen

Our company has been using Doolphy ( http://www.doolphy.com ) for some time now and we're very happy with it. The application is in Beta version and can be used for free. There is no limit in the number of users or the number of reports that can be created. It is helping us a lot with the management of our tasks. I recommend it.

Best regards.

Thanks for the heads up Robert. http://www.Doolphy.com looks very promising. I wonder if the pricing is going to be astronomical when it loses its Beta tag.

• Robert Allen

Hi! I can't really tell. Right now the application is in beta version and it's free. I guess that when they leave the beta they will have prices similar to those of other project management applications. I have a contact email in case you need it: contact@doolphy.com

12. Steve Campbell

Brent,

This might help you sync excel with google calendar but I'm not sure:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5176741_sync-birthdayevents-present-excelcsv-file.html

If you search MakeUseOf for "project management" you will find a lot of tools that we have covered in the past. I'm hoping one of those will suit your needs.

If you're searching for more of a reminder tool I can recommend Remember the Milk. It's simple and works great.