Can you recommend a sofware to copy homemade DVDs?

Mrs B March 26, 2010

I have homemade video footage of weddings, christenings, holidays etc.
that I have put onto DVD disc. I now want to copy these DVD discs to other DVD discs (make copies), but cant seem to do it.
Someone said I need to rip the DVD then burn it on to a new disc. It all sounds so easy but I just can’t find any free software that will allow me to do this.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated. Nothing to technical as I’m a relative newbie. :)
Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks for all the advice, Went with Imgburn, Working great and so easy to use.
    Thanks.
    Mrs B.

2. gab

ImgBurn does that without headaches. Save your DVD as .iso on desktop, then burn the .iso file to a blank DVD.

3. Taty

You can use the free trial of Nero. It's one of the most user friendly ones and will copy for you in a few clicks. You can download the trial here:
    http://www.nero.com/enu/index.html

I second that. Create an ISO file and use it for burning new DVDs. Alternatively, use any CD/DVD copying program, such as Nero, Roxio Creator, Cdburnerxp etc and copy the disc. Ripping the disc is definitely NOT a good idea as you will lose quality/features in the process and is will also take much longer.

5. Steve Campbell

Chyea, what Tina said. If you can get your DVDs into ISO form you're home free with your backups.

We recently had a similar question. Please review the answers here.

Steve's answer should work for you and basically any CD/DVD burner is able to do this as your homemade DVDs do not have a copy protection.

In short, you use your DVD burner to save a copy of the DVD to your hard drive in .iso file format. Then you burn that .iso file to a fresh DVD.