Can you recommend a simple software to extract the original audio out of an .avi or .mp4 file without audio conversion?

Jay February 22, 2011

I use a stand alone single file audio extraction software called FLVExtract (325 KB). When you drag and drop a .flv file on it, it strips the audio portion off it into the same directory. Sometimes its .mp3, sometimes its .aac depending on what the .flv file contains originally. Takes only 2 seconds for a .flv file of even 700 MB is size. It doesn’t do any audio conversion but just strips the audio portion off it and that’s what I wanted!

Unfortunately this flvextract.exe can only do .flv files and I need a simple software to extract the audio portion off of any video file like .mp4, .avi or .divx. Please suggest one.

I am a guy who download lots of videos and strip. the audio portion off it to listen in my iPod while I’m walking, doing house chores etc. There is a number of software like Pazera, free audio ripper, converter etc. that rips the audio out of the video files. But they take a little longer and undergo their own processing. Pazera for example rips audio out of video but re-formats the audio to required setting like 64kpbs or whatever.

Please suggest something similar to flvextract that strips the original audio kept inside the .flv or .mkv container. Than kyou.

1. Jcat431

definitely AVIdemux. It works with many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF; you can save the audio quickly without transcoding; I did a 350MB video file today in about 7 secs. Free software to boot!

I think you are looking for Yamb:

3. jello

I concur with the pazera free audio extractor. you can also download it from here-
    Cnet says it is free of spyware, adware, viruses, and other malicious programs

4. Rakesh

You can try out Pazera Free Audio Extractor that can extract the sound from any video format(AVI, FLV, MP4, MPG, MOV, RM, 3GP, WMV, VOB etc). Moreover, you don't even need to install it, you can simply run the program.

Official page:

5. Belkira

Right and AviDemux also does this

6. Belkira

Also VirtualDub can do this

7. Belkira

Machete does what you ask I believe. It is not free, but does lossless ripping.

@Alex, thanks for your reply. But the problem is format factory will reencode the audio again taking time which is mainly what I am tryin to avoid. anything
    @Josh fox,
    even though we select "same as source" it will still undergo some process of minimal reencoding which I am tryin to avoid.I just want the .mp4 or .avi file to be split into its components without reformatting.

thanks for reply. but its a hectic roundabout way.

power audio extractor does reencoding which I am trying to avoid similar to flvextract

Hello, Power Audio Extractor does what you want. It is a paid software though...You can get a free trial and see if you like it.

10. iwanttoknow

You can use audacity, swich the input in audacity to stero mix , then play your video in another app, then audacity will have just the audio, then export it as a mp3 ( you will need to install LAME if you are not using Linux )

11. Josh Fox

You can use Freemake Video Converter to strip audio from nearly everything. It will usually try to encode it again when you extract it though, so you would have to pay attention to what format it uses, select that same format for the extraction and choose "Same as source" for quality. This should give you what you're looking for. You can also check out the article on Freemake here on MakeUseOf before getting the program.

12. Alex

You can use Format Factory to do that. Just drag the file into Format Factory and tell it what to save it as. Before you do this, you might want to first go into options and set the output folder to where you want it to go. It's not super-fast, but still goes at a pretty good speed. I find myself using it all the time. And it also works for converting files to a different format, it doesn't have to be video to audio. You can also change the quality of the video or audio when it converts, when you say what filetype you want.