Can you recommend a multi-purpose database to sync with Outlook, and handle contacts, ideas, and other information?

Maude December 4, 2010

I would like to find a database that can handle all my info: business contacts, personal contacts, ideas, information etc. and will also handle an image in each file. I need the format to have one page for each entry, similar to Outlook or File Maker Pro. I need it to download from Outlook. File Maker will download from Outlook only in one giant file, not individual files.

I have looked for hours and not found what I need. This is really important to my business. Your expertise is much appreciated.

1. Tilman

I definitely recommend PersonalBrain for you! I've been using it now for years and I literally couldn't live without it anymore because I have ALL my information in it :) What does "all" mean? It means literally everything that I have in digital format: Emails, all my contacts, internet bookmarks, Word documents, photos, notes, thoughts that came to my mind about something, any other files I used to have on my harddisk, offline copies of some webpages that I want to keep in case they cease to exist on the net, etc etc etc. PersonalBrain offers all this in an intuitive visual interface where you can link everything with everything that is relevant through child, parent, and jump connections. At first sight it looks "just" like a mindmapping program but in reality it is so much more. It can be used in addition to mindmapping for file management, brainstorming, organizing information, and so much more... You can even create a website with it :D It even has a built-in calendar with extensive options for reminders and recurring events. Moreover, it is really easy to create a backup of the whole database to make sure that your information is always safe :) I really recommend this program from experience! I have it always running on my computer and I won't exchange it for anything else :)

• Tilman

Couple of more detailed comments. PersonalBrain works with "thoughts" that can be connected to an unlimited number of any other thoughts in a hierarchical OR trans-hierarchical way ("jump thoughts"). Each thought can have an unlimited number of text, files, images, web addresses, tags (in addition to a thought type), calendar entries, or virtually any other content attached to / associated with it. You can either paste full html (or of course also plain text), images, etc into the note field of any thought, or you can attach files separately to each thought. There are plenty of ways of integrating PersonalBrain with Outlook but personally I have never used Outlook, so I don't know how it works. I am sure you can find all the information you need on their website (www.thebrain.com), especially if you do a search for Outlook: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:thebrain.com+outlook

• Maude

Tilman you are my new BFF. I only had one brain cell left because I need to organize everything somehow - I guess I'm not the only one! I have already signed up for some PersonalBrain Webinars. I would not have known about this if it were not for you. Thank you.