Can you recommend the best laptop for a photographer?

Deborah Ramsey November 24, 2010

I have a Macbook Pro (6yrs old) and I need a new laptop. I bought the ASUS G73 and not sure about it. Can you recommend the best laptop, I am a new photographer and that is the primary use for having a laptop for me.

Macbook PRO seems to be a laptop of choice for those involved with photogrpahy, film making, web design etc

Deborah,

it's tough to make general recommendations to questions like this. No one can really guess what you need, what is important for you, and how much you can afford to spend on a laptop.

Assess what you need hardware wise. If you're an aspiring photographer, I guess you will run graphics hungry software like Photoshop. So a large RAM and a very good graphics card are probably good. You might also want a large screen with at least 15.5" wide screen, probably more. Pick your key requirements, e.g. screen, graphics card, and RAM.

Your best guess is to go with a brand you trust. Pick as many as you can handle. Although if you prefer Mac over Windows, you are obviously left with only one brand. Out of interest: Why did you buy an Asus after having a Mac? Anyways, within your favorite brands, look for the laptop models that meet your key requirements.

Once you have identified these models, compare what other nice-to-have features they offer and which of these you would prefer to have. It's also important to test a laptop hands on. For example you cannot really exchange the keyboard if you find it's hard to type on it. So you must find out what working with each model feels like. This will make it easier to decide.

Once you have decided, go out and look for the best deal.

For more information I highly recommend our Shopping Guide.