Can you recommend a GPS unit for Android?

Bill Scriven August 1, 2012

I am transporting children and am looking for a GPS unit that will work with mapping software on my Nexus 7.

1. Frederick Doe

Try Locus Pro. It's a bit expensive, but it's amazing what it can do!

2. jrasulev

You can use Google maps, just download maps before going out and use it in offline mode, as you cannot use turn-by-turn navigation due to lack of gsm module on your tablet

3. Bill

Thank you everyone for your help. A lot of the areas I service don't have cell reception. Delorm has a unit available for Windows that doesn't need a data plan and that was what I was hoping to find. My Garmine GPS unit was stolen and I don't want to buy another one because I believe Android is our future.
    Again thanks to all

4. Hoku Sarroca

Like what some have mentioned, I also have waze on my android. it is a free program and also it gives you info on traffic , police visible or hidden, along with if there is a car stuck on shoulder , accidents. I personally will also use my garmin since at times you will lose signal. Please make sure you have your phone charger with you, as in most programs will drain the battery.

5. Vipul Jain

Nexus 7 has inbuilt GPS.
    So download Google maps and then pre cache the map where you will be going. Its a test feature and i tried it once, worked for me.
    Its better than getting a new device.

If you have Maps installed, that is a GPS system that will 'Show you the way'

7. Martin Pham
  8. Jeffrey

You can buy a bluetooth GPS device that will broadcast signals and you can find many bluetooth gps apps for making your nexus a gps receiver.

• Bill

Thanks but I returned my second Nexus after it wouldn't start up and decided not to try a third. Too bad it was a nice unit when working

9. Jayen Lapez

Howdy to you fella! You're lucky because you have Global Positioning System on your thoughts..hehe

Where are you going to plan for a camp with your kids? just a good advice, camping in an out-ridge is amazing but you have to consider enough that you're kids are with you., think of their safety, just camp on the nearest town.. SAFETY FIRST, GO!..

so about the program?? I'll suggest FURUNO, because that has a very good aspects of detecting your position. but every GPS has its 100m correction, so keep in mind.. SAFETY FIRST GO..hehe by the way, please spread my Disease of keeping on Smiling, have a good day.

-JayenLapez @\JayenLapez