Can you recommend a good quality, free or inxepensive video web cam service?

Boyd Anderson March 5, 2010

My Son lives in Australia and we use MSN and Skype to web cam together, but the quality is never very good. Can anyone recommend a good quality web site that we can use?

I would think Skype and MSN are one of the best tools to use. So it's either your webcam or your internet connection. Isn't Skype broadcasting in HD now?

2. Steve Campbell

If you're experiencing poor video quality it might also be your webcam. Most webcams are choppy in general so you have to find a quality camera that has a decent frame rate if you want fluid video.

Do you have any recommendation on a web cam? Mine is about a 5 year old Logitech.

• Steve Campbell

I would go with a digital video camera or an hd camera. They aren't too expensive now and they work really well. I heard the kodak zi8 was good.

Steve is correct I recently replaced my crappy 19.99 webcam on my desktop with a Skype approved Phillips camera and it works awesome. Skype, iChat and Google all offer free video service that can be nice and crisp in the right conditions. If your camera is a good one are you in a well lighted area?

3. timmyjohnboy

If you are looking for a web-based solution, check out tokbox or Google's own video chat features. You can also try Wetoku, which is meant for interviewing so it is also easy to record the conversation.

There could be multiple reasons for a drop in quality, one of which being bandwidth. You may want to find out if there is another reason for the low quality in case it's something other than the service:)