Can you recommend freeware to manage simple tasks, appointments, and alarm reminders?

Antonio Velázquez February 26, 2012

I’m looking for a simple schedule book or agenda desktop Windows freeware, which allows me to manage my tasks and appointments like this:

– Abillity to add reminders (alarms) and recurrences

– It only needs to have “start” and “end” dates… nothing like context, priorities or so…

– It would be great if it were portable

– And the most important: A calendar view which combines scheduled appointments and the tasks planned for THAT day, but without messing them together. Things like Thunderbird + Lightning won’t work because they have a task lists on a different view from calendar one. I need something like these and nothing else.

http://main.makeuseoflimited.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Opus-Domini.png

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5807/captura2n.png

Just to open the app, look for a day (or days) without many tasks, and add the task to the list of THAT day… or add an appointment as well… to easily and visually plan both of them…

1. Jaco

This has been marked resolved. Can you tell me if you have found the freeware and provide the link to it.

2. Smayonak

The best software for your purposes would be Thunderbird with two add-on/extensions installed: (1) Google Provider Extension and the (2) Lightning extension. Google provider allows you to sync with their calendar application and Lightning is a calendar app for Thunderbird. The setup process is relatively simple. But first, you need an e-mail address with Google: http://www.google.com/mail

After that, install Thunderbird:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ 
    If you aren't familiar with any Mozilla products, the setup and installation process is simple: Install Thunderbird and then go to the menu bar at the top. Pick options and select "Add-ons" from the context menu.

There's a search box in this location that will let you search for, and install, Google Provider and Lightning. 

The tricky part is taking a link to your calendar on Google's servers and setting it up to sync with the calendar on Thunderbird. Lifehacker has a step-by-step guide for this:

http://lifehacker.com/399407/how-to-sync-any-desktop-calendar-with-google-calendar 

Thunderbird has several distinct advantages over alternative solutions. First, it syncs with Google Calendar and Gmail.Second, it's all available offline, so even if your internet is out, you'll still get reminders (just remember to set the alarm).It has the disadvantage of not syncing with Google Tasks - but TB has its own task management system. MUO has several articles on the subject.

Good luck!

3. Antonio Velázquez

Ok, thanks for all your answers, guys! I've finally decided: i will use onenote as a personal agenda (schedule book), with 13 sections: "Today" and 12 other tabs for each month of the year... each section will have a page for each day of the month, and each page will have an "appointment" table and a "tasks" table... On the Today Section, there will be a page for the list of recurrent tasks, and everyday i will copy-paste the tasks, appointments, and recurrencies into a "today page", then sort them manually in another table which helps me to organize my whole day by stablishing which tasks will be done when, and how much time to put to them...

it does requiere manual work, but it will be fast, and the system also includes other things such as tags for contexts, and more...

anyway, i will also create events for appointments in rainlendar, and i will use it for alarms (such as taking something out of the oven, or taking a medicine everyday)... if necesary, everyday i will create alarms according to my day scheduling for each task i have to do... Great thing is that you can easily create different to do lists for these!

For backupping and syncing, i will sync my Agenda at Windows Live every night, and sync my Notebooks to USB using SyncToys to work in different computers... And, as Rainlendar keeps everything in a folder, i will also sync that to USB and Dropbox... currently i don't own an smarthphone, but both ON and RL have mobile apps.!

well, that's the plan, and i think it's the best i can get for me, hope it's the final system to finally keep everything in place and accesible.!

• Norma Perez

You've got complicated requirements! I use MS Outlook for work calendar needs. Google Calendars for personal calendar and all travel items. I share these with family. I also use 3 separate mini apps in iGoogle to handle tasks. I use each app for separate projects or areas of life. nonetheless my system does not allow for tasking by date. seems like there should be something easier to manage agenda items and tasks for all areas of work and life.

4. Mamajama31

Google calendar works for me.  Combined with Chrome, it can go to your desktop.

5. get cozi

we really like http://www.Cozi.com.  I haven't printed from it, but it does have calendar and task lists.  it works great on the PC or mobile and it sends e-mail or text reminders and can be added to the desktop as a widget.  it also let's you specifiy who an appt. is for.  we use it for the whole family of 5.  you can point and click or learn how to 'script' an appt or task by typing it into the field as a single line including person, event, time.

• Antonio Velázquez

i thought Rainlander separates todos from events, meaning that you can't easily see which task is for what day... i will give it a try, thou

I never heard of minitask, and it doesn't seems to have a calendar view or anything like that... it doesn't really has an alarm as it doesn't open a popup or play a sound... 

And I've tried TaskGuru before (the last link) but it doesn't have recurrences (repeating tasks daily or every week) which are important to me... and no calendar view

BTW... anyone knows an easy beautiful software to add alarms to it?? you know, like you have to remember to take out something from the oven in 15 minutes... or a recurrent alarm such as "taking my medicine at 5:00pm everyday"... im using winalarm, but its kinda ugly :S

its curious how online apps are WAY better than software, i can think of several online apps to do everything i need in a great, easy, beautiful way... but very few software... and the good ones are paid versions ¬¬

• Antonio Velázquez

Ok... rainlander is awesome, it does manage tasks and appointments separately and has 90% of the things i'm looking for... but you get to see the tasks dated ONLY for the current day which is good but the program doesn't allow to move through days to see tasks and events for each day... you can only see TODAY'S... although you can use the built-in task manager which lists tasks and events by dates, its a plain list, which doesn't allow visual organization, and you don't get to add a new task on this manager... whereas adding a task on the main view is completely easy and fast

nevertheless its the best thing i've found so far, i will search for skins and see if any of them do as i want... by the way, if anyone else is searching something like me, i would recomend exstora as well...it's pretty much like rainlander, but adding tasks for especific days and events is a little more complex... thou you can navigate through days, and see the stuff for THAT day

Glad that rainlander pleased you, difficult to founr application that does everything we want, to have clear mind test needed.

Vueminder
        http://www.vueminder.com/

• Antonio Velázquez

the vueminder free versions doesn't handle any kind of tasks, only scheduled appointments

and plainsight is REALLY similar to rainlendar, quite the same, except for the fact that you have to pay for PlainSight