Can you recommend a free PDF editor to correct mistakes in a PDF file?
Question by mike /

I got a PDF file from a friend with several errors in it. Is there a way I can fix it without having to shell out a ton of money for Abobe PDF Editor? Opening it with Adobe Reader I can do, but editing it would require an expensive version of Adobe Editor. Is there a free editor for PDF files?

• Lukas Fenz

You can’t change letters inside your pdf file with PDF-XChange (or Foxit, …), but you can write note or extract text (use free OCR in PDF-XChange for example). I had the same work several times and can say that it’s not easy to do even with Adobe Acrobat. The best way – make all need corrects in the original file and then print to pdf files.

• Vinchand

simple use open office with pdf import extension thats all,now u can edit pdf files easily

• Pguiberteau

I like Zamzar. I use it to convert files to another format ie: pdf to Word. In Word I can edit then use Zamzar again to convert back to a pdf. Free, easy, and quick.

• IOStreamCTO

If you have a free Google account, you can simply upload the PDF to Google Docs while being sure to tick the “Covert Document To Google Docs Format” option. You can then directly edit the document and re-publish or download it in PDF format. Your original PDF is now edited and recompiled without any messy “whiteouts” or mismatched fonts – easy and free! By the way, the suggestions regarding the use of PDF-Exchange Viewer – count me in with them. I use the Pro version daily in my workflow and it is EXCELLENT! You should also check out FinePrint Software’s FinePrint and pdfFactory Pro print drivers – not free but worth every penny if you compile sophisticated documents from multiple sources (Be sure to read the user guides for all these programs to really understand everything they can do for a business professional!).

• jello

I learned about the pdfxchange viewer software on this site recently. It is great. Just make sure you show all the toolbars, because the editing mode is called typewriter, on one of the toolbars and does not appear on its default installation.

• Mayank

PDF Is Such A File That You Can’t Actually (Fully) Edit It.
    It Takes Some Advanced Options Like Someone Said By Converting It To A Word Document And Then Editing And Then Re-Converting.
    This One Is Basically A Working Solution Without The Need Of Installing Any Other Software.
    You Can’t Actually Edit A PDF File Properly, If I Know properly..

thanks these are all good answers. i work for a genological research company.. a co worker sent me a document with errors.. basicly i was looking for a free text editor for the file so i can edit words and locations and correct my co-workers bad grammer with out breaking a arm and leg spending money with adobe.. there are some graphic boxes i might not be able to edit however.. hmmm…

• Oron Joffe

Mike’s suggestion of using Illustrator is the best by far, but if you don’t have the software, your options are as follows:
    1. Convert the document ‘back’ to Word (or Excell) using a free tool. The drawback is that the conversion is rarely perfect, and may in fact be unusable, but if it works well, it will give you flexibility in editing.
    2. Use PDF-Exchange, Foxit Reader or other similar tools to edit individual words etc by drawing white blocks over them, then ‘typing’ with the provided tool. While this will work, it is obviously very limiting in terms of the kind of editing you can do.

Ultimately, PDFs are not designed to be edited other than having things added to them.

• Anne H

I think Mike’s suggestion is best. Otherwise, you could try some of the tools mentioned in the ads to the right. I’m seeing ads for those type of products in the Google ads on this page, but I’d suggest you look at privacy policies. Some are free, but you may be giving up your email address to the company as well as 3rd parties.

• Mhguda

You could read the pdf text into a wordprocessor. Wordperfect reads pdf documents directly, and I think OpenOffice does, too. Then you can correct all the mistakes, and resave your pdf using that option. Both OpenOffice and Wordperfect can write pdf files.
    Good luck!