Can you recommend me a free Android app for auto-sharing my location?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani October 25, 2012

Which free Android app allows the auto-sharing of my location, in address format (accurate to the street I am currently on) with a custom email address, via SMS or Facebook?

1. Marian Cimbru

I've seen that most of comments goes to Google Latitude. I've tried this share location through Google Latitude but it only works on wi-fi. Moreover, Latitude has a random delay until it asks you if you want to be registered into a specific location. Anyway, the most convenient app to do this, it seems to be Latify (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ecs.latify) and another free app (but it seems not having a sms or e-mail location sharing) named Backitude (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gaugler.backitude). For your needs, I recommend Latify which can be integrated with Tasker.

• Josh Vogler

I 2nd these two options, although I get much more accurate location through Backitude, although I can't figure out why. Plus Backitude allows your friends to basically SMS you and force a real-time 'poll' for location and send them back an accurate real-time location.

2. Pwince Khan

google lattitude

I almost missed this article by Ryan Dube on the tracking app InstaMapper. I'm not sure if it offers updates by SMS (I don't believe that it does), but it does allow you to use a web interface to locate the phone down to the street level (for the most part).

Hey Sunil! The only Android app that probably has that capability is Tasker. I found a blog entry that details about half of what you need: he figured out how to constantly record his location into a text file.

The second half that you need is to send out an e-mail or SMS with the text file.

From what I can tell, this is very possible, although it's going to be difficult working it out. One of the major stumbling blocks is that GPS isn't very accurate sometimes. And furthermore, giving a street name would require not just integration with Google Maps (which exists) but also it's sometimes going to be very wrong.

Also, Tasker supports both automated emails/SMS and GPS location entries, but I can't find out whether or not SMS support exists. I believe it does, but can't find mention of it anywhere. Sorry that I could not be of more help! Tasker is extremely complicated.

Good luck!

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Tasker is an automated task app for not only location sharing but multiple tasks in android and is therefore sophisticated and heavy weight

But you may find an app simply for location auto fwd to fb , sms, or email

5. Shonit Singhal

google latitute will solve your problem , or lookout mobile security can give ur way out of ur problem

6. Ahmed Khalil

i twitter mobile version provide this

7. Dino Pearsons

Have you tried Latitude? It's a part of Google Maps.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Thanks for answer

Latitude is installed by default

I am looking for auto-sharing also to a custom email or mobile number sms

• Sunil

The app shares through but not automatically

• Nikhil Chandak

ops ...
        i forgot to see that these app automatically does not share
        oh sorry ...

8. Nguy?n Tân

You can use Foursquare or Google Maps! You can find them all on http://play.google.com

9. Sahil Ganguly

I believe Google Latitude (comes with Google Maps) should be able to do the trick. You'd have to check your settings to allow it to update your location using your GPS.