Can you recommend a Desktop Dock Program with categories?

Jake April 13, 2010

I’ve tried both RocketDock and ObjectDock, and can’t decide which is better. Suggestions?

Also, my Dell computer came with the Dell dock, which has categories in which you can nest individual applications. Is there another dock that will do the same thing? Both RD and OD seem to accept only the application on the dock itself, which means that the dock quickly becomes too wide for the screen.

Thanks.

1. Lectrichead

Search for the Stack docklet, you can create various stacks corresponding to the categories you want. Works real nice.

Jake,

you could use either RocketDock or ObjectDock, create a folder that you drag to the dock, and then put your program shortcuts into the folder.

Personally, I have used both ObjectDock and RocketDock. Currently, I'm using RocketDock.

The advantage of ObjectDock is that you can drag it into its exact position, while RocketDock only aligns to the center of the top, bottom, left or right side of the screen. I think overall ObjectDock offers more options.

Docks that support categories are Orbit Dock and Jet Toolbar. I profiled both of them in my post Docks – The 6 Best Friends of your Windows Taskbar.

Why don't you stick with the dock that came with your Dell computer?

• Jake

Tina:

Thanks for this information. I'll act on your recommendations. Regarding my Dell dock, it's fine for my home machine, but I have a non-Dell laptop at work and would like to replicate my Dell dock with another available dock only because I don't think the Dell dock is available as a stand-alone download.

Thanks again,

Jake

• Jessica Cam W.

For your non-Dell laptop, you could try doing the same thing with the plain old Windows taskbar. Here's an example: http://i39.tinypic.com/i4g7du.jpg

First, create folders with the names of your desired categories and put your program shortcuts in them (even shortcuts to files). Then, right-click on your taskbar > Toolbars > New toolbar. Select your category folders and voila!

To actually see your programs, you can unlock the taskbar and drag the resizers. If you right-click on the toolbar and select View, you can even enlarge the icons for a cooler Mac-like effect.