Can you recommend a budget laptop for everyday office use?

Suhel28 July 27, 2011

My brother-in-law wants a laptop with the least features cause all he needs to do is some work on Microsoft Office and maybe Tally. I’m really blank on what specs would be ideal for him.

Kindly suggest some specs for a budget laptop that would cost him less as well as fulfill his needs.

I suggested him a computer, but he said he needs to carry the thing around and a computer won’t suit his purpose.

Suhel,

which laptop did your friend end up buying?

2. Tusk

Any of the $299 Best Buy laptops should be fine for your brother-in-law's needs.

Find out EXACTLY what software he wants to run (MS Office 2010?) and what version of Windows he wants (Win 7 Professional?).  The versions and editions are important here.  Look up the RECOMMENDED system requirements (NOT THE MINIMUMS!!!) and jack up these numbers slightly because he will eventually want to upgrade the software or use it for more purposes (or have more apps open at once), so you want some wiggle room with the amount of RAM and the CPU & GPU horsepower, so if the recommended RAM is 2GB, spec the machine for at least 3GB.  Same type of thing for the CPU.  As for the hard disk, I normally will not go under 320GB.  Use this data for your base specs for the machine.

thanks. but I dont think he needs windows 7 or ms office 2010, he can run xp sp3 and ms office 2003 too