Why am I receiving this Rundll32 error message in Windows Vista?

Rami April 10, 2010

Why am I getting this error message when I run my computer with Windows Vista? The message is “Windows host process (Rundll32) stopped working and was closed.”
How I can solve this problem please?

1. Doodledog

Aibek,

I have not been able to access any files on my external hard drive for months when using my vista computer - the drive worked perfectly on my XP computer so I knew it wasn't the drive or the USB cable. I have tried everything I knew, could think of, and any advice I came across - I have spent hours at a time periodically for months but I still received the same Rundll32 error whenever I attempted to use the drive with my vista laptop (my main computer).

I just followed your advice and all I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! It works. I can open the files on my external drive once again using my Vista laptop. You are a genius! Thank you!!

Thank you very much for your feedback! It's important for us to hear whether or not a suggestion helped.

:-) sorry for the late reply, somehow i pushed this email to the wrong folder and forgot to address it in a timely manner. I am really glad my advice helped you with the problem. My pleasure!

Hi Rami,

Try following

1) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options
    2) Open View tab
    3) In Advanced Settings -> Files and Folders, put a check box under 'Always show icons, never thumbnails'
    4) Hit Apply and restart you computer.

Please let us know if it works for you.

• Verisimilitude Delusion

I was having the same problem as Rami,
      but this method did not work for me...
      is there anything else i can do?
      the message still comes up at start up.

Hi

The above fix is the only one I am aware of. If it didn't help I am not sure what to advice you. You may want to try posting this as anew question, maybe one of the readers can suggest you something.

3. Taty

Please, Rami. When do you get a message? On boot, on shut down or when opening a certain program? That way we can find a solution. To start, you might want to update all of your drivers then run a scan disk on your main drive. Sometimes that solves the problem.

• Rami

Hi, thanks for the reply i got it on startup ...