Why am I receiving friendship confirmations on Facebook for connections I never invited?

Robert W April 12, 2011

How does Facebook auto-proliferate? I have begun receiving confirmations of Facebook friendship from people with whom I am acquainted on the web through email, but I did not invite through Facebook. Is Facebook like a worm that can usurp my contact list?

1. krishna parab

Today when I opened my Gmail account, see that one has accepted my friends request and the person who accept request is known by me. But I know clearly that I haven’t know this person haves Gmail/ face book account and never sent face book friend request to him. Same time my internet explorer not opened so I am using chrome and Firefox. I had kasperkey antivirus which after full scan it show computer is safe. I also used sfx command successfully to repair windows xp. I also used windows malicious software tool which don’t show any infection .I can’t understand what it is. Can anyone help me?

• Susendeep Dutta

If your PC is clean and you're sure of no virus infection then all you can do is to reset your Gmail and Facebook passwords for safety and unfriend that friend.

2. Jimdenny

The same thing just happened tonight to me. There was no friend request or confirmation by me, and I do not know or have ever heard of the person. I received the email from facebook that stated that this person was now confirmed as a friend. I checked my wall, and the entry is there that she and I are now friends.
    If I can't, then I will permanently close my facebook account.

3. Filip Aleksandrow

this just happened to my girlfriend, someone we don't like suddenly is friends with her posting on her photos. She was sleeping when that happened! wtf is going on?

@ae3a18e3f62631517b04057403d32902:disqus,  I have seen a small link of adding a friend under suggestions on
    facebook that you can click by mistake, while thinking that you are
    removing suggestions.

and it sends a request, in response some of them accept and some ask who
    are you, some may reject or block you or keep it pending, but you are
    notified about confirmation and messages only.

this is the only possibility I can think about.

5. Loisvanwijk

Same here! No one seems to know how this is possible, so I think that the only explanation is that our facebook accounts were still online on a public computer, from which others invited people. Strange, but this seems to be the only possible explanation.

6. Steve Cook

I have received about 10 friend confirmations since yesterday. None of them were requested, and, yes, I'm smart enough to know a confirmation from a suggestion.  One other person wrote and asked if we knew each other, so I'm sure she had received a friend request.  Some of these, very few, are people I am acquainted with or know of in this area. Most are from other locations.  

7. wrapman

exactly the same thing is happening to me, just got one today that I am 100% certian I did not invite to be my friend. I have probably gotten about 10 of these in the past month.

Do you have any Facebook apps installed that could be tampering with your profile? Sounds like something malicious is going on.

8. Mark O'Neill

Friendship confirmations are not possible unless you first sent that person a friendship request. More than likely, you are receiving a friendship request from another person, which you are entitled to ignore, if you so choose.

• Joan

I had the same thing happen to me today from a person that I WOULD NEVER friend request. She accepted , but when I looked on her wall and mine it did NOT say we are NOW friends. Whats up with this?

are you sure you are receiving friendship confirmations rather than suggestions or requests? What exactly do the messages say that you are receiving?

A confirmation would mean that you requested to become friends and that the receiving party confirmed your request.

Or are you wondering how Facebook knows which other people on the network you may know and want to become friends with? These are friendship suggestions that you see in the Facebook sidebar, you should not receive any messages or notifications for them.