Why am I receiving emails for an Outlook account set up on one computer on another computer?

Mao Piseth May 12, 2011

I have recently received duplicate e-mails. My mail account is the default account. Then I created an account named jobs@wmc….. and configured it with another PC while mine is set on my PC. However, recently, e-mails sent to jobs@…. will be also sent to me. I didn’t set this account jobs… on my PC. What causes e-mail to send to me?

1. mpsinfo

Thanks mike for this nice explanation. You have been very helpful so far. All your suggestions are good. I have just managed to solve it. It is fully my fault and I made this myself a few months ago. It was when we closed the applications. Then I did not wish to lose all applications sent after the deadline. That was why I created forwarding rule in Cpanel to keep track. Then I forgot to check this. When reading yours about mailserver I checked everything in Cpanel and found out this lately. It's a shame. Thank you again and sorry to make you headache of this. 

2. mpsinfo

your second point out seems reasonable.  However, it is not, because I do not see my address in the "to" or "cc". The 3rd point is reasonable as I can only see jobs@... in the "to" not my address. The 4th point is not correct because it happens to only this account (jobs....). However, all e-mails sent to wrong id in this domain will be sent to me. I am sure there is no rules set in that PC except to moves all coming mails to and inbox folder named applications. Any further suggestions? Thank you anyway for your response.

Except for the first one (Outlook rule) all options are server sided and the default account will not appear as receiver.

Personally I suggest to look through the mailservers log files and control whether this particular email was received multiple times (one for jobs..., one BCC to the default account or a wrong id).

I had a similar issue report at work once and it turned out the Email was sent to about 100 other people on the same domain via BCC.

I could think of various scenarios how this could happen:
    - an old email rule within Outlook that forwards Emails to your default account
    - store and forward option is selected for jobs@...
    - emails are send to your default account in BCC
    - your default account is selected to receive copies of all messages to the domain