Why am I receiving so many emails from MakeUseOf.com advertisers?

Terry Muskoff May 24, 2011

How do I control the flow of email from makeuseof.com advertisers? I don’t mind some, but more than10 ads per day is too much.

I just want to confirm [as an outside person] that there is no advertising or spam related or originating from MakeUseOf. With my "minimum" subscription I get at most 1 email per week with the main articles and information about new PDF guides (as intended).

• Terry

How did you arrange the "minimum" subscription you describe?  I cannot find any place on the web site that controls the amount of communication.  Thanks!

2. Terry

Not to repeat the question, but is there a way to control how much advertising email is produced by makeuseof.com?

Hi Terry,

Could you please forward me a copy of the emails you got from us to take a look. While we don't try to send anyone more than 2-3 emails per week it might happen that user receives 3 emails in a day if subscribed at certain time (like Friday early morning). My email is aibek[at]makeuseof[dot].com

• Terry

I deleted the emails so I cannot forward them to you.  The emails were not from makeuseof.com, but were from various advertisers.  The ad's all seemed to be legit, but I still would like to know if there is a way to control who makeuseof.com shares my email address with.  

Hi Terry,

MakeUseOf doesn't share user emails with any other party. Only three
          people including myself from entire MakeUseOf people have access to that
          data.
          All of us are extremely concerned about your email and thus want to
          investigate this. If you forward us one of such email we'll be able to
          look into this further.

Aibek

• Terry

Well, if you do not share email addresses, then you don't.  So the advertising emails I received must have originated with some other source.  I'm sorry that I incorrectly attributed them to makeuseof.com.  I consider the question closed.

thanks for and update.
          I am pretty sure those ads were from some other source.

Aibek

3. Terry

I received at least 10 advertising emails within a hour of creating my new account on makeuseof.com. I can think of no other reason for those emails suddenly arriving.  All of the emails were well done, and all of them provided an unsubscribe link which I used.

Terry,

as far as I know you should not be receiving any emails from MakeUseOf.com advertisers. Can you please describe what emails you are referring to?

I am subscribed to MakeUseOf.com with my personal email address and I never receive more than 4 or 5 emails per day. However, I am subscribed to the daily updates of the main blog, Directory, and Geeky Fun, so three of those I actively subscribed to and the others are either the newsletter or PDF Manual announcements, no ads!