Is it possible to receive a text message via email without a cell phone?

Kevin Fegan September 6, 2012

I want to be able to receive a text message and have it be sent to my email.

Is this possible?

1. Kevin Fegan

I think the best answers are those that mentioned Google Voice, and SMS-With-Gmail.

Also, http://www.ipipi.com/ looks interesting and I will certainly check it out.

Thanks to everyone.

Kevin

2. Dwayne Nicholson

Google Voice, I use it all the time for receiving text messages via email, and it's free!

3. Gianna Marie

it is not possible because you have no cellphone but if you have cellphone it is possible...
    You can send text messages via email but you must have cellphone..

4. Max Geislinger

You can send text messages to email. You can also send text messages via, as long as you know the carrier you're sending too

5. Shawnee McKee

You can forward your message to your email via text, by putting your email address in the "To" box instead of a number like you normally do. Also you can send a text message to your phone from you email, but you have to know your extension to put after your phone number

yournumber@vtext.com <--- verizon text
    yournumber@vzqpix.com <--- verizon pictures or sounds text

Those are the only two I know, and here are a few more

AT&T – cellnumber@txt.att.net
    T-Mobile – cellnumber@tmomail.net
    Sprint PCS - cellnumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Virgin Mobile – cellnumber@vmobl.com
    US Cellular – cellnumber@email.uscc.net
    Nextel - cellnumber@messaging.nextel.com
    Boost - cellnumber@myboostmobile.com
    Alltel – cellnumber@message.alltel.com

6. Erlis Dhima

There is an application for iPhone & Android, which is called LINE..
    It is like messenger type, but I like it, since you get messages like normal sms, using e-mail.. And you can install a windows version on your pc too, and send messages from it too, when you don't have your phone!

7. Rob Hindle

I'm not sure anyone has read the question:

"Is it possible to *receive* a text message via email *without a cell phone*?
    I want to be able to receive a text message and have it be sent to my email."

I read that to mean he's *not got a cellphone* and he wants someone with a cellphone to be able to use SMS to send him a (short) email.
    As far as I can see that implies a need to have a cellphone number for them to address the SMS message to.

One solution would be to get a virtual SMS number - google for "virtual sms number" should find plenty of providers - don't know about cost.

Another approach, depending on what you need, is offered here: http://www.ipipi.com/. Your friend's phone number has to be registered with the service, then any text he sends to a one of ipipi's global network of gateway numbers generates an email to you.

Or what about the option of getting a cheap prepay SIM and a super-cheap basic cellphone (I got one new for £10), set up the SMS to mail service most operators provide, then you can forget about the phone itself. There may be a problem that the service provider requires the number to be active, I had a pre-pay SIM that lapsed if no credit used for 6 months. Another problem I had was that the service provider's SMS to eMail program was not very reliable, messages could take a long time to get forwarded - or just lost. They don't make any money from providing the service so have no incentive to make it reliable.

8. dioaw[

Yes. But, you must be a wizard to do so.
    but its okay. -Yer a wizard Kevin-

9. Justin Pot

If you're in the USA I highly recommend Google Voice. It works very well and is free; you can have all messages sent to your email if you want. Even better: if you should ever want to set up on your phone there's no need to change your number. All you need to do is set up the proper formatting.

Anyway, highly recommended.

10. Richard

Yes! Almost all cell carriers provide a way to send a text to a phone through an email program. This does not make you anonymous, it just shows the receiving person your email address instead of a phone number to reply to. Basically, you are emailing the cell provider's system, which then forwards the email as a text to the phone. When the receiver responds, they respond to your email. Keep in mind, most SMS messages are limited to around 150 bytes so if you get too wordy, it will not go through.

Providers:
    Sprint= phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon= phonenumber@vtext.com
    T-Mobile= phonenumber@tmomail.net
    AT&T= phonenumber@txt.att.net

Hope that helps! :)

Receive and reply to SMS messages by email (Google voice) -

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.in/2009/09/receive-and-reply-to-sms-messages-by.html

SMS to E-Mail Tool -

http://www.recursosmoviles.com/sms-email.html

If using Android,some suggested apps are listed in the Makuseof Answer link below -

http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/automatically-text-messages-email-account/

12. Kao Vang

http://voice.google.com

Set up a Google number and link it to your current phone number. You would also have to change some forwarding settings on your phone as well.

The end result is that your GVoice would get SMS messages. You could also just give people your direct GVoice number and they can text you there. You would have a GVoice inbox as well as the ability to forward the message to email.

13. GayashanNA

May be Gmail SMS can help you with this. It works both ways, once you send a text message to a person he/she can reply to the same number and you'll receive the reply as a chat in your Gmail client. Check it out how it works,

http://www.google.com/mobile/sms/mail/

If you can't view the chat messages in your inbox just scroll down in your email folders and select chats.

PS: I've been using this service for a long time and it's working perfectly fine.

• George Coffey

Thanks for the fab tip. Currently I use a DesktopSMS for Android(which is not free), however never knew dat Gmail had there own. Thanks man. Still trying to figure it out thou.

14. Benjamin Trotter

It all depends on your carrier. You can just google something like email to 'your carrier' cell phone.

Verizon's is 'phone#'@vtext.com for text messages. Media messages are 'Phone#'@vzwpix.com

The easiest thing is to send a txt message from your phone to your email address. That should give you for your email address for your cell.

15. Usman Mubashir

It might be possible iff your service provider agrees to it. You might be able to divert texts to your email *depending on your service provider.

16. MrXlover

Could you explain your question more clearly? Do you want to receive your email onto your phone or on other devices? Did you mean push-mail like on Blackberry?

• Kevin Fegan

Suppose I don't have a cell phone, but I want to receive a text message from someone. So, I would have to have some sort of "Number" for them to send the text message to, and that message would arrive in my email.

This would also work if in a particular case, I don't want to give out my cell phone number.

17. Harshit Jain

it is not possible sorry