Who do I receive a “no root file system defined” error when trying to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu?

Husnain Ahmad October 16, 2012

I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 using WUBI.exe from within Windows 7. All goes well but when it restarts and installation proceeds it gives and error “No root file system defined”. I have tried booting from live USB and Live CD but the same error occurs. Then i downloaded 11.10 version and booted into it using live USB but same error occurs there.

Now the thing is that I have 4 partitions on hard disk: 1- C: 147GB (with Windows 7 installed) 2- D, E which I use for file storage in Windows 3- G: 19GB NTFS formatted from Windows.

I am trying to install Ubuntu into this G drive. I want to keep my Windows 7 files and installation intact. I have tried it a while ago for 11.10 and at that time it all went super smooth. I have tried rebuilding the partition table from cmd.exe in Windows and i have also tried by formatting my G drive to ext3 using Easeus Partition manager in windows and then installing using wubi but wubi.exe didn’t detected the partition formated to ext3. When I ran the installation wizard from within Ubuntu running through live usb, i got a window with DEVICE= /dev/sda and no type no size nothing.

Here when I choose my 320GB drive it just gives the option as in picture and when i pressed install the same error “no root file system defined”. I have tried to select the new partition table option but it gives me the window to create a partition by dividing 320GB whole into whatever i want. I don’t proceed into that option because i think i will ruin my windows 7 stuff.

I am posting the pictures at of installation steps i have defined in the following link please have a look. https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D0690308_082_7483607

1. Abba Jee

i installed ubuntu a few days earlier and had to face same problem as you, maybe i was lucky it worked for me :)
    sudo apt-get remove dmraid

2. Freud Iomc

you've b0rked the master boot record... you need to decide whether windows will be your boot loader, or whether Ubuntu will be.

3. Jonas Nordgren

i recently suffered a similar problem, you could try using a live ubuntu usb, downloading a boot repair tool, and using it. it worked great for me :)

• Abba Jee

did you use Check files system Force or what ?

4. Adrian Rea

I think this may be the wubi installer making the bootloader think that the ubuntu is within the windows partition but I am not sure. You may need to seek help on ubuntuforums. You say the same happens on a live CD, are you sure it is booting the cd? check that it is booting the cd and that the cd works ok on other systems. good luck

• Justin Pot

I agree: there's no way this should be showing up for the live CD. Something is off about that.

5. memo1288

I also had this problem recently, and it took me a while to figure out what to do. I didn't use WUBI but a live CD, so these steps may be a bit different.
    When trying to install Ubuntu, you should see at some point a window like this:
    If you are able to see the existing partitions like that, then you can define a root file system by selecting the partition in which you want to install Ubuntu, selecting "Edit partition", and in Mount Point, you have to choose "/" (either that or "/home", I can't remember exactly. I think it was "/"). That should make it a root file system, and allow you to proceed. You should not have to modify anything else about that or any other partition. Creating a SWAP partition is recommended, but not necessary.
    If you are unable to see the existing partitions at any point, then I don't know what to do. You should not create new partitions in Ubuntu, only edit the partitions that you already have.