Why did I receive an email from Facebook about a deactivated account?

Kumquat McGillicuddy April 28, 2012

I deactivated another Facebook account over a year ago and I got an email the other day saying “Getting back onto Facebook?”.

It’s the email you get when you enter the wrong password and I know it’s from Facebook because of the return address (update+oj=02t=6@facebookmail.com).

I sent something to this account from my new account and I did a password recovery and received these emails 1…notification+oj=02t=6@facebookmail.com 2…password+oj=02t=6@facebookmail.com

So I am wondering, did someone try to hack my account or did Facebook send it out for me to reactivate it because my friend has an account and hasn’t used it in a while and she gets notifications from Facebook about “you have friends request” and “you been tagged in a photo” and stuff?

Thank you!

1. Gordon Hay

I think the @facebookmail.com address is genuine - I had a similar "sorry you've been having problems" mail which I took to mean someone had been trying (unsuccessfully) to access my account.

The way to tell if it's gen. is to right-click on the unsubscribe link, or any or all of the other links, in the mail then copy it and paste it into your browser address bar to check it out - if it starts "www.facebook.com/" then it is genuine.

• km

thank you

2. Kyem Ghosh

facebook sends mail with @facebook.com... The hackers have already got access to your account and now they are trying for your mail account. Be careful. Change your passwords and security question immediately

3. Richard Carpenter

Well, that is not from facebook, Facebookmail.com is an impostor. It is phishing email...

They are trying to steal your password.